Albee777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI Elegance 2010 2ltr
Any advice on fixing a rearview mirror permanently dimmed when ignition is on

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is the light sensor obstructed by any chance?
It's on the back (i.e. the forward facing cover).

Welcome to the forum :)

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't have pictures of my own mirror's back, so here's one from eBay:

44868032251_d05bbd952f_o.png

If the sensor is clear of any obstruction, and clean, then check the connectors (the yellow one here) and wires for damage, and maybe clean plugs with contacts cleaner:

In the mirror assembly:
44867903601_852630365f_o.jpg

And inside the OCP (the one on the right, with pink, brown and blue-yellow wires):
29930993027_f996efbe8c_o.jpg

Reactions: CJD
OP
A

Albee777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't have pictures of my own mirror's back, so here's one from eBay:

44868032251_d05bbd952f_o.png

If the sensor is clear of any obstruction, and clean, then check the connectors (the yellow one here) and wires for damage, and maybe clean plugs with contacts cleaner:

In the mirror assembly:
44867903601_852630365f_o.jpg

And inside the OCP (the one on the right, with pink, brown and blue-yellow wires):
29930993027_f996efbe8c_o.jpg

OP
A

Albee777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLK Thanks for your prompt reply. Just installed a dash cam and didn’t realise mirror had sensor on back. Have relocated dash cam and problem solved. Much appreciated.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Excellent! Always great, when it's an easy fix to a problem. :)

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Thanks for this post. It's my intention to install a dash cam in the next week or so and just behind the mirror is the obvious place for it. doh!

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep, one of the reasons, mine is on the passenger's side ...

Which reminds me - it's over six years old now, so I ought to start looking for a replacement.

OP
A

Albee777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for this post. It's my intention to install a dash cam in the next week or so and just behind the mirror is the obvious place for it. doh!
Yep, one of the reasons, mine is on the passenger's side ...

Which reminds me - it's over six years old now, so I ought to start looking for a replacement.

OP
A

Albee777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The problem arose when I fitted the dash cam to the right of the mirror. Fitting to the left is no problem except that space is a bit tighter. Still it makes the cam less visible from outside. There are some nasty people around who would have it away if they spotted it. Also I covered the shiny bits with black tape. Paranoid? No.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The problem arose when I fitted the dash cam to the right of the mirror. Fitting to the left is no problem except that space is a bit tighter. Still it makes the cam less visible from outside. There are some nasty people around who would have it away if they spotted it. Also I covered the shiny bits with black tape. Paranoid? No.

Paranoid?
No, sensible, I think.

These days, infortunately there's not too much you can do to prevent your vehicle being tampered with - short (pun intended!) of loading all metal bits with 100,000 volts and you can be done for that - and I think somebody was (?)! Worse still, if you zapped a thief/yobbo doing damage, you'd end up paying him compensation. And who says the law is an ass?

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I actually modified my BlackVue DR400G-II quite heavily - perhaps that's why it is still working perfectly fine, six years on.

I removed all the chrome bits, including the lens surround (built my own); modified (slimmed down) the holder; fitted a permanent CPL; drilled four (or was it six?) holes for better ventilation; blackened out side button LED; and finally, wrapped it in carbon fibre vinyl, including the holder.

It's hardly visible from the outside, and as I said - worked perfectly fine in my old car since Spring 2012, and now for over three years - in the current car.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I actually modified my BlackVue DR400G-II quite heavily - perhaps that's why it is still working perfectly fine, six years on.

I removed all the chrome bits, including the lens surround (built my own); modified (slimmed down) the holder; fitted a permanent CPL; drilled four (or was it six?) holes for better ventilation; blackened out side button LED; and finally, wrapped it in carbon fibre vinyl, including the holder.

It's hardly visible from the outside, and as I said - worked perfectly fine in my old car since Spring 2012, and now for over three years - in the current car.

Well fingers crossed, it will stay like that! Whatever you do, if it's working, don't fix it!

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 September 2014 3500cc 7G Auto Iridium Silver R231
On the topic of dipsey mirrors (well not too off-topic I hope...) does anyone have a remedy for an unwanted tendency for severe automatic dimming during a combination of roof down/low winter sunshine cruising?
Recently, driving East, enjoying a lovely evening on the M4 my mirrors were virtually black. Can their 'dimming' function be disabled by the driver I wonder? (No. I did NOT decide to go quick enough, to reduce any danger, to the point that there would be no possibility of anyone catching me up!!)

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You could fit a small LED near the sensor, with a switch hidden, say in the power socket tray - to compensate the direct sunshine from behind?

PS The only way to turn off the function, as far as I know, would be to cut the power to the mirrors, or the sensor, and that would bring up all kinds of hissy fits by SAM.

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 September 2014 3500cc 7G Auto Iridium Silver R231
SAMs no like snippers methinx.
I remember having this dimming problem with an SLK 172 after Merc resprayed it... (but that's another story altogether) and thought the problem stemmed from their dismantling/re-building efforts.
Maybe it's 'a product feature'.
Let's face it, the problem arises all too infrequently in our climate.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
On the topic of dipsey mirrors (well not too off-topic I hope...) does anyone have a remedy for an unwanted tendency for severe automatic dimming during a combination of roof down/low winter sunshine cruising?
Recently, driving East, enjoying a lovely evening on the M4 my mirrors were virtually black. Can their 'dimming' function be disabled by the driver I wonder? (No. I did NOT decide to go quick enough, to reduce any danger, to the point that there would be no possibility of anyone catching me up!!)

1st world problem. Pretend you are in Italy and wots behind does not matter, FTFY :cool::D:D

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom