W203 C220 cdi coupe central locking

andrew Slater

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 cdi ES sport coupe / 2006 / 2148cc
Hi all,
I am wondering if there is any way of getting around the irksome job of replacing antenna modulator ( located in the subframe of the tailgate, where the glass HAS to be removed to get at it.)
I've looked at second hand tailgate, but, they have no guarantees, plus, need respray to match the car.
So, I wonder if there is a way to negate the antenna modulator altogether, by using an aftermarket one and retro fitting it in a more suitable place.
MB's price for new modulator is £300,just for the unit. An indie would be slightly cheaper but, not many indies willing to accept risk of removing glass without damage.
My central locking only works on the IR sensor, and my radio will not tune to stations. (plus, my local indie diagnosed its the modulator).
This is the only thing that doesn't operate on my car correctly. Everything else works well and with no hiccups, which, I feel is pretty damn good for a 2006 car.
But, it is infuriating me immensely, that I cannot unlock the car from a distance. That, and I cannot afford a dealer or indie to do the job.
So, that leaves me with the dilemma still.
Which is why, I wonder if there is any way whatsoever of subjugating the modulator with an aftermarket radio antenna and a new modulator?
Many thanks in advance for your help or advice on this matter.
Andy

OP
A

andrew Slater

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 cdi ES sport coupe / 2006 / 2148cc
Threads come up to the top (well as far as they can below the “sticky threads”) when someone posts on them.

Your question about the antenna issue is a difficult one as not many have had the issue which is why you’re not getting responses.
Thanks Russ,
I realise that my issue is a tricky one.
It's so frustrating as, everything, and I mean every thing else on the car works great. Boohoo, all I want to do is unlock the car from a distance.
My local indie ( calcot Cars), were a useless lot. They had the car for five days, during which they told me that the immobiliser alarm siren was faulty (£80+vat), they then flattened my battery. Total bill £236.00, then they apparently confirmed it was the modulator that was at fault, which, they won't touch the job because they couldn't guarantee not breaking the window on removal.
Grrrrrrr.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks Russ,
I realise that my issue is a tricky one.
It's so frustrating as, everything, and I mean every thing else on the car works great. Boohoo, all I want to do is unlock the car from a distance.
My local indie ( calcot Cars), were a useless lot. They had the car for five days, during which they told me that the immobiliser alarm siren was faulty (£80+vat), they then flattened my battery. Total bill £236.00, then they apparently confirmed it was the modulator that was at fault, which, they won't touch the job because they couldn't guarantee not breaking the window on removal.
Grrrrrrr.
Have you rung Ian @star Mercedes Indy Reading , he may be able to help

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom