W203 front spring life?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Bit dismayed my car was found to have a broken NSF spring at MOT today - it's only 3.5yrs since it last broke (and that was the original). It was replaced by a genuine MB part, and the car has done less than 20K since, the vast majority being motorway runs.

Is it a case of 'they don't make 'em like they used to'?

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Or possibly they don't maintain the roads like they used to. Austerity is a shared experience.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Over the last five years ,out of the four cars in our household my CLS was the only one to suffer a broken spring and it was the one to be driven with most caution.

Whilst being a passenger in the wifes cars i would point out an approaching ravine in the road , next thing she would hit it. I had to explain that i was informing her it was to be avoided and not aimed for.

Seems an all too common issue of Mercs between a certain age. Mine went at 38k in the middle of the night which was weird.

Kenny

OP
R

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Garage is saying it's corrosion (I remember when it broke last time, the MB dealer looking at was adamant it wasn't corroded, and on that basis Warranty Direct paid for it) and the other one doesn't too clever so is adamant both should be done.

I find it odd that, like last time it broke, there's absolutely no indication of a problem. And it's certainly not due to to the car being smacked into potholes or kerbs. I rarely encounter speed bumps either, and am always most cautious when I do.

I'm falling out of love with this car - every time it goes to the garage I get a hefty bill. :(

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
My w203 which had a gentle life first front spring went at 45000 just before I bought it. second at 62000. That one went just driving up the road at about 20mph. Sounded like someone hit the underside of the car with a club hammer. Spring snapped clean through.

OP
R

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks. That's a bit alarming! Garage showed me the broken spring and the coating had come off and the spring corroded about a third of the way through and then it had just snapped.

New springs, and some other bits and pieces to get it through MOT was £650 - ouch.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom