W203 Parking brake Ratchet - Wont stay on

pjking01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class, 220CDI, Estate, Auto, 2001 W203
Hi (first post)

Im having some difficulty with the parking brake on my 2002 c class estate.

The parking brake works but does not hold on.

When you push the pedel down I get the usual clicking sound but the pedel jujust returns to the up position.

Any Ideas?

Does anyone have an instruction for removing the pedel assembly so I can have a better look?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Broken spring, suggest ferret with torch and mirror to have a look I got small boy/son to fix mine.

OP
P

pjking01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class, 220CDI, Estate, Auto, 2001 W203
Managed to fix mine today. There is a small metal rod/pin that hooks onto the plastic part of the release mechanism. This had come out of it's position. Popped it back in and it works fine.

colinessex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 c270 cdi
had the same trouble..what happens is the plastic release part that the spring (30) attaches to also has a thick spring wire (it wraps around the the shaft just behind the actual pedal bit..)
this comes out of the 'tear drop' shaped apeture to the left of where the coil spring attaches ..if you can prise the wire back into this slot the pedal will work again..
I know because I have just taken the whole assembly out to cure the problem..BUT you can do it in situ.remove the cover under the dash to get to it..its a lay on your back job with the drivers seat all the way back !!
Now I just have to replace everything
Colin

Top Bottom