w204 C220 CDI OM646 - Rumbling sound underneath

starrzo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 - C220 CDI
Hey guys,

This is going to be hard to describe accurately, but my car has started making a rumbling/rattling sound underneath, very noticeable, especially at low speed and particularly over slightly rough ground.

At first I thought it could be the undertrays or some loose cover - but I've removed them all and secured anything that could move.

It's hard to tell where it is coming from, sometimes it feels like the rear passenger side, and other times it sounds like the front.

I know it'd be hard to diagnose online, but anybody have any ideas?

Cheers.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Exhaust ? loose baffles ? mountings ? I'm not a mechanical genius by any means though :rolleyes:

OP
S

starrzo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 - C220 CDI
Exhaust ? loose baffles ? mountings ? I'm not a mechanical genius by any means though :rolleyes:

I'm no mechanucal genius either, but I'm pretty sure it isn't loose baffles or the exhaust. I've been underneath with it up on ramps and tried to shake and kick everything, lol, but nothing is obviously "loose"

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Usual culprit is a loose heatshield.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
If it was just rumbling I’d be looking at the tyres, when wide low profiles on certain makes get beyond half worn they rumble almost mimicking worn bearing rumble

OP
S

starrzo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 - C220 CDI
Had somebody look at it this morning. Front passenger arm is knackered and driver side one isn't in great shape either. Getting both replaced today :rolleyes:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom