W210 Breather replacment

G-a-r-y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 320 CDi, SLK 200 R171.
Do you need to change the breather/filter like on the BMW 3.0d engines.
Haven't seen it mentioned on here but BM's do?

BTW 320 CDi.

w210chap

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e220 CDI 2002 Saloon Elegance
w210 PCV / Breather replacement

Not sure if this (belatedly) helps, but I had a small fluid leak from the PCV / Breather on the top of my engine - the black plastic part that sits in front of the oil filler cap, that connects to the rubber air hose. I tried prising the round cap off the main breather body - that's a bad idea as although there are indentations around the cap it snaps off quite easily. I also managed to accidentally snap off the front flexible fuel line right next to the cap and had to replace the fuel line (£120 from the dealer but a doddle to fit). Anyway, the breather just comes off by removing the 4 torx bolts and pulling off the air hose its connected to. The only GOTCHA to beware off is that there are 2 "O" rings on the breather that need replacing - the MB part didn't come with either of those as standard, and there's a 6 inch rubber strip that sits under the breather (on the right hand side) that also should be replaced and also doesn't come as standard with the MB breather. All-in-all though its an easy DIY job to replace the breather, which cost about £25 from the dealer (excluding the O rings and rubber strip). With hindsight if there is another leak in future I'd just replace the O rings and rubber strip as the PCV/breather part itself is just a plastic part (albeit with a spring below the top cap) that looks unlikely to be the cause of the fluid leak I had.

Paulo72

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI Avantgarde 2003
Did you take photos of thoes Orings our the DIY assemble?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom