W210 E320CDI inlet manifold removal

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Hopefully going to do this next week when I'm a bit better. Want to clean it out as well as the EGR as I'm sure it's never been done. Will do the EGR delete afterwards.

I have read through many threads but cannot find difinitive answers to a few questions.

Is it relatively simple? I am fairly good with the spanners but just want to make sure

Will check the swirl flaps and lever but is there anything else I should check or replace? I believe the gasket can be cleaned and reused, is this correct?

Finally, when I had an injector problem, one of the injector holes got a bit coked up (dry soot). I cleaned it out, but is there anything SAFE I can flsuh it/clean it with properly? Diesel? Degreaser?

TIA

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Hopefully going to do this next week when I'm a bit better. Want to clean it out as well as the EGR as I'm sure it's never been done. Will do the EGR delete afterwards.

I have read through many threads but cannot find difinitive answers to a few questions.

Is it relatively simple? Don't know I'm afraid. I am fairly good with the spanners but just want to make sure

Will check the swirl flaps and lever but is there anything else I should check or replace? I don't think so. Just clean out as much as possible of what is there. EGR included, even if you intend doing the delete job afterwards. I believe the gasket can be cleaned and reused, is this correct? Probably - depends on how 'cleanly' you get it off when dismantling. A thin smear of gasket sealant wouldn't do any harm if you're in doubt.

Finally, when I had an injector problem, one of the injector holes got a bit coked up (dry soot). I cleaned it out, but is there anything SAFE I can flsuh it/clean it with properly? Diesel? Degreaser? Mr Muscle oven cleaner. And/or a flat blade screwdriver after you have thoroughly warmed up the engine. The black death goes sticky and it can be removed by scooping it out with the screwdriver. Once cold, it goes very hard and brittle.

TIA

. . .

OP
bob 6600

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the reply corned. With the injector, the black death was done but since then I had a hairline crack on an injector. It was replaced by my local garage with one that was lying around to keep me going (foc as they were going to bin it) bit it was for a 648 engine not a 631 (part number was for 648 but looked identical). This was only run for a couple of days whilst I obtained a replacement and caused some black soot in the injector hole. I cleaned it out but just wanted to know if there is anything I canuse to clean the actual injector hole out properly.

may just put on a new gasket to be safe

The WIS is not too clear on this procedure unfortunately

Last edited:

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it's soot rather than black death, then a rag and some WD40 or some other solvent (carb cleaner?) should suffice.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
P.S. to add: I'm surprised your engine ran with a 648 injector in it! I thought that the injectors were about the only thing which differed between the 613 and 648 engines. Piezo ones for the 648. IIRC of course.

OP
bob 6600

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It ran, just not very well! To be fair, it wasn't too bad but threw out enough smoke to blind the bloke behind me! Obviously not fueling right but kept me on the road for a couple of days as I couldn't afford to be car-less

Linuus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 wagon
Any pic of the diy job cleaning the inlet manif. And the flats and EGR?! I don’t know if I shall risk doing it my self...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom