W210 gearbox problems

lyndonri

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have had an intermittent problem on my E300TD which has recently been happening more often. Used to be once every few weeks. Now it seems to be most days.

During the course of a journey, I might come to a stop; lights or something of this nature. I then try to pull off but I need to really floor the pedal to move, with very high engine revs. I am concerned that if I am on an upward hill, I may not be able to move forward. Also from that point, I think the engine will only move up into third gear (or close). Eg if I get onto a dual carriageway, I'm running at 3000-4000 revs at approx 60mph. If I stop, turn the engine off and restart, it's OK again.

Generally, I always drive in D, with no manual changes or use of neutral, park etc.

I would welcome any suggestions

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hopefully this is low on fluid, have you checked the level of the ATF

OP
lyndonri

lyndonri

Reaction score
No, not personally, but it was serviced (not dealer) a couple of months ago. It has been happening for longer than that though. I guess I'll have to get it checked. Can I do it myself? It's certainly not something I've done before.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No, not personally, but it was serviced (not dealer) a couple of months ago. It has been happening for longer than that though. I guess I'll have to get it checked. Can I do it myself? It's certainly not something I've done before.

you have the dipstick tube towards the rear on the engine near the bulkhead
17 in the link

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...A=722.608&CT=GA&cat=23V&SID=27&SGR=240&SGN=14

There is no dipstick on your car, you can buy one, or see the DIY section on how to make one, or ask any MB service garage to check it for you.

The fluid should be redish and not burnt.

OP
lyndonri

lyndonri

Reaction score
Thanks very much. I'll have a look and report anything I find.

Cheers

OP
lyndonri

lyndonri

Reaction score
OK, I found the pipe/tube at the rear of the engine bay. There is a black plastic cap of some sort with a red plastic clip attached, which broke off when I pulled it! The cap does not seem to come off too easliy and I am reluctant to try too hard. There is also a note on there saying that it needs to be looked at by an MB dealer. I am thinking I might be better taking it in to be checked out. What do you think? Even if I manage to get that far, looking at the DIY section, I think the oil change might be more than I can do myself.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dont worry about the cap, they only cost pence, tape it on to stop dust getting in drive to a dealer or an indie and they can check it in 3 mins

wgriffiths

Reaction score
gearbox plug

try pushing any remaining red part of the locking clip out should come off are you getting any banging/ harsh selection or changing of gears?

OP
lyndonri

lyndonri

Reaction score
I have noticed a few slightly more jerky gear changes. They are not noisy though.

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
If you urgently need to check it, and want to save a few bob, make your own dipstick. Here's the 'dip' part:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.jeffs4/car stuff/merc tech/dip3.jpg

The length of the 'stick' part is irrelevant, it just has to reach the bottom of the gearbox pan - so a metre would do. Someone here suggested a bit of wire, like the kind you find on a net curtain rail.

You can also order them from Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERC...007QQitemZ170115750279QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

Its in the US, but won't take more than a fortnight to arrive. Handy tool to have.

OP
lyndonri

lyndonri

Reaction score
OK, supposing the oil level is low - do I just 'top it up' through the same tube? Or do I need a complete change? Does it depend on the quality of whats in there? Can I tell from the small amount on the dipstick?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK, supposing the oil level is low - do I just 'top it up' through the same tube? Or do I need a complete change? Does it depend on the quality of whats in there? Can I tell from the small amount on the dipstick?

The fluid in the box should be red transparent looking, and not dark red or smell burnt.

You do fill up in that tube, if the fluid is burnt looking and low you must drain and change it

Marco Polo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d SE 4Matic
Hi everyone

I have had an intermittent problem on my E300TD which has recently been happening more often. Used to be once every few weeks. Now it seems to be most days.

During the course of a journey, I might come to a stop; lights or something of this nature. I then try to pull off but I need to really floor the pedal to move, with very high engine revs. I am concerned that if I am on an upward hill, I may not be able to move forward. Also from that point, I think the engine will only move up into third gear (or close). Eg if I get onto a dual carriageway, I'm running at 3000-4000 revs at approx 60mph. If I stop, turn the engine off and restart, it's OK again.

Generally, I always drive in D, with no manual changes or use of neutral, park etc.

I would welcome any suggestions

Thanks

I had a similar problem recently with my W210 1998 E240 estate with 95K miles. I took it to SPR Autos in Stockport who did a service on the autobox. With these 'sealed for life' units this would not have been done as part of the regular service that yours had. The problem seems to have been sorted - I'm going on a long drive tomorrow so I'll see. On local driving it seems to be cured.

OP
lyndonri

lyndonri

Reaction score
I have checked the levels and the good news is that the oil seems to be an orangy-red and transparent. However it measures about 75mm from the end of the 'makeshift' dipstick. Could it be the problems is that it is over-filled? Perhaps I'd better get it checked properly...?

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
It needs to be dipped with the oil at 80 degree C assuming you have a 5 speed box with the S/W switch next to the stick shift, in other words a 722.6
autobox.

Teddy Bear

OP
lyndonri

lyndonri

Reaction score
I checked it not long after arriving from a 20 mile run and then about an hour later. The levels were the same (approx) as far as I could tell. Does it sound like it is overfilled, anyone?

OP
lyndonri

lyndonri

Reaction score
The box has now gone into emergency limp mode. It is with the indie and they will be checking it on Monday.

Here's my problem: They say it could be a valve chest. If it is, should I get it replaced or do I need to consider a recon box? The car has now done 160,000m.

Secondly, I have JUST spent £1,800 on a cylinder head skim, valves, injector refurb, fuel shut off valve, new glow plugs, labour etc etc and am now faced with a £1,200+ potential gearbox issue.

So, do I do it? Or should I think about ditching the car.....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It maybe be the engine in the limp home mode and not the box, the MAF can do this

OP
lyndonri

lyndonri

Reaction score
If that's the case, then that's great. But I would like to get a feel of what people would do, if the repair is more substantial.

I am trying to justify to myself the potential of spending yet more large sums of money on a 10 year old car

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If that's the case, then that's great. But I would like to get a feel of what people would do, if the repair is more substantial.

I am trying to justify to myself the potential of spending yet more large sums of money on a 10 year old car

Having done the engine you must carry on, even if it is the valve block this is done in situ so not that big a job

Top Bottom