W211 E-class estate (2007) - front shock absorbers

ahoythere

Reaction score
Hello - my front shock absorbers need replacing. Ride has been bumpy and getting worse ever since front springs were replaced a few years ago. Shocks were not replaced at the same time.

Vehicle: E220 CDi Estate; 170hp; Avantgarde; Sports + Comfort mode (transmission); VIN starts WDB211208...

My indie has quoted for an aftermarket Sachs Shock Absorber (Front) with product code 6352211. When I Googled this, I found the part/product code on Euro Car Parts for £143.99 each. As I have several jobs which need doing (=expensive repair bill), I'm wondering whether I can source cheaper parts - as long as it's not a false economy! My current, factory-fitted shock absorbers have the part number A211 320 22 38.

Two questions:

1) Is there a better value (but equal or better quality) alternative to the Sachs?
2) The website onlinecarparts.co.uk lists lots of 'compatible' shocks for my vehicle, but only a few of the 211 320's end in 22 38. How important is it that a replacement aftermarket part specifies exact compatibility with the original part A211 320 22 38?

Any advice much appreciated!

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 11
  • E-class.jpg
    E-class.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
My tactic is - pop the original part number into the Sachs online catalogue. Put the Sachs part number into eBay. There will probably be a few legit sellers who are cheaper than Euro these days. I make the Sachs number to be 316950 but double check!!

Bilstein B4 are a great option too.

New springs might well be a bit firmer than old.

OP
A

ahoythere

Reaction score
My tactic is - pop the original part number into the Sachs online catalogue. Put the Sachs part number into eBay. There will probably be a few legit sellers who are cheaper than Euro these days. I make the Sachs number to be 316950 but double check!!

Many thanks for the tips. I checked the Sachs catalogue and the 316950 looks correct. Cheapest price found is on eBay and a lot less than the price I've been quoted.

Can I just query your springs comment? Current springs were fitted in 2018 but shock absorbers were not changed. Suspension and ride have never been same since. Ride is now distinctly 'rumbly' when I go over bumps. Do you suppose new shock absorbers will make a difference?

Last edited:

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
Impossible to say. Have you checked all the bushes etc?

I broke a front spring on my CLK a few years ago - I bit the bullet & ordered springs from MB (they are colour coded to match spec), Bilstein B4’s & new top mounts. It rides beautifully. No niggling doubt whether the ride is spot on or paying labour again to rip the struts apart when the next part fails so it pays off in long run.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I got Sachs for my E class from Autodoc with the correct spring colour paint match . Both springs , both front shocks , all Sachs were £300 delivered

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
Have you considered replacing all four dampers? The difference in ride can be quite amazing. Last year I struggled getting a set of Bilstein B4 dampers, Bilstein were quoting 8/9 weeks with no guarantees and I ended up with B6 rear and B8 fronts.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom