W211 E270 limp mode after hard acceleration.

HANDLEYGREAVES

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E270 Avantguarde
Hi guys. Got an e270 that's does 167k. Recently had a problem where if I boot it the car goes into limp mode. No lights on dash. All I have to do is switch her off and back on again and the problem is gone. Another things that happening is when I accelerate from cold engine. It drives fine but I get an intermittent sound that I can only describe as a dog trying to cough. It only happens a few times then it's gone. Car has been reg serviced and have no problems other than these. Have not had it plugged in to star or anything yet. Have scoured the forums and have heard advice such as clogged turbo/egr. Cats gone etc but haven't been able to find a definitive solution. This is my first ever mb so any advice greatly appreciated. Great forum btw

Cheers

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
sorry to hear your problem, it does sound like it could be sticky actuator for the turbo it gives the same sort of problems you describe, I had something similar and it ended up being an O2 sensor, but a clean of the actuator probably helped as well.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Correct me if i am wrong but the 270 is the inline 5 with no turbo.

Last edited:

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Hi guys. Got an e270 that's does 167k. Recently had a problem where if I boot it the car goes into limp mode. No lights on dash. All I have to do is switch her off and back on again and the problem is gone. Another things that happening is when I accelerate from cold engine. It drives fine but I get an intermittent sound that I can only describe as a dog trying to cough. It only happens a few times then it's gone. Car has been reg serviced and have no problems other than these. Have not had it plugged in to star or anything yet. Have scoured the forums and have heard advice such as clogged turbo/egr. Cats gone etc but haven't been able to find a definitive solution. This is my first ever mb so any advice greatly appreciated. Great forum btw

Cheers

It sounds like a injector dumping fuel under full load causing the rail pressure to drop out.
Get the injectors tested by leak back test.

Correct me if i am wrong but the 270 is the inline 5 with no turbo.

There should be a turbo on all 270 CDI engines.

Last edited:

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
It sounds like a injector dumping fuel under full load causing the rail pressure to drop out.
Get the injectors tested by leak back test.

Hmm nah in that instance you get EPC error on the dash in red and the car stops the engine there and then.

I had this exact problem on a 320CDI when I bought it... it turned out to be the little actuator that moves the inlet flaps. It came loose. Once forcibly attached the issue went away. It's located under the inlet manifold, about 10cm in length, little metal strip.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
You do really need to get it on STAR to establish the issue. It could be any number of things. You already have 3 guesses above which could all be incorrect!

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
You do really need to get it on STAR to establish the issue.
It could be any number of things.
You already have 3 guesses above which could all be incorrect!

And all three could be present from my experience. !!!!!

Of course as always a MB Star session is required :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom