W211 E280 Estate: rear air-suspension

ptruswell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280D Avantgarde Estate W211
Please can other owners advise...

My 15-year-old W211 estate is showing it's age in body and, more importantly and potentially costly, in the rear air-suspension department...

My mechanic in Macclesfield (Cheshire) advises me that the so-called 'air bag' units that are used instead of traditional coil springs on this model, could have degraded in some way leading to what is basically a slow puncture, meaning that if I leave the car on the drive for a few days (I use it much less over the winter) it tends to sink low down at the back, and that in turn on occasion leads to a 'don't drive too low' red warning on the dashboard.

The car is still driveable, and indeed recently passed its MOT, but this is clearly a problem that is 'developing' and needs attention. I recently took the car to Selecta-Tyre in Macclesfield (for tyre re-sealings to degrading alloy rims) but they refused to work on the car for fear of liability if the suspension 'broke' whilst in their care; they mentioned concerns about putting it on their hydraulic lift/ramp; bit of a lame reason in my my view but there we are...

So, in your experience, what sort of costs am I heading for? Of course it may be something other or in addition to the 'air bags' (wouldn't they more correctly be described as 'air cylinders'?) that are at fault - I imagine that long lines of 'air-plumbing' and an air compressor + associated electronics + 'intelligence' are also involved, although having said that, the 'intelligence' and compressor seem to being doing their job well, because at the moment the car, despite all the above, drives normally and excellently as it always has done.

I look forward to your valued responses :cool:

Thanks,

Paul

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
There are a few threads here on this topic. Sinking while parked can be intermittent depending on how the car is parked on an incline. There are also pipes running the length of the car that can leak; you'd have to remove the underside covers to get to them
Excessive use of the compressor can wear it out requiring replacement.
There are some well regarded non OEM replacements available (Arnott and Aerosus) that can be less involved to fit than the originals.
I paid to have one replaced about 3 years ago (yes, I know should have been both) and the compressor and that cost about £500 and it's been ok since

Having been initially frightened by the potential cost when it first happened, over time and seeing a few YouTube videos, I'd probably DIY another time.

Ask for prices at an indy then you can make an informed decision.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
As above two MB Remanufactured airbags should sort the problem at 15 years old they get tired and start to split. I would make sure you get the problem sorted ASAP as the pump will be working overtime and might burn out

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I had each bag/air spring replaced on the back of my R Class at a MB indie using Arnott pattern parts. IIRC each one was £360 fitted. MB wanted about £400 for the part

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I had each bag/air spring replaced on the back of my R Class at a MB indie using Arnott pattern parts. IIRC each one was £360 fitted. MB wanted about £400 for the part

They are roughly £422 + VAT at the moment, sans discounts/core charge.

Aftermarket a bit cheaper, and ultimately still behave the same on an estate.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
The rear of my e320cdi has had the conversion to Arnott springs, not sure if I like the ride as much as the other E class I had with air.

OP
ptruswell

ptruswell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280D Avantgarde Estate W211
Many thanks for everyone's responses.

Top Bottom