W211 OM642 Engine Vibrations

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
A few days ago my car suddenly started Vibrating when you put it in reverse while stationery. This has now started happening in drive too while stationary and at low speeds. It also seems to start with a bit more of a jolt than it used to. I'm presuming one or more of the engine mounts are failing/failed? I haven't experienced this before on any car so please correct me if you think I'm wrong. But presuming I'm not how urgent is it I get this fixed, it doesn't seem to be effecting anything, I don't think there's any contact between axillary parts and the chassis etc. Some advice would be cool though, thanks!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Can't help with any tech advice buddy , but you have MBS in Southampton (respected Indy on this site ) who are worth a call if you don't know a good Merc Indy in your neck of the woods .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Take a look underneath. If the mount has failed it will have lost its oil which leaves a distinctive brown stain under the undertray.

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I inspected both front mounts and there was no sign of any leaks. The rear gearbox mount looked tired with a small spilt in the rubber, so I changed it. This hasn't cured the vibration sadly, so I presume the engine mounts (one or both) are toast. The options seem to be Corteco at £70 for a pair, or Lemforder at twice the price. Has anyone got experience with Corteco parts, their described as hydro bearings not solid rubber. Thanks

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK I've changed the mounts and it's cured the problem, from what I can see so far the Corteco parts are of good quality. Just a heads up, there was no visible fluid loss from the old ones, (unusual) but they were compressed. The difference is like night and day, it's very smooth now.

Last edited:

abazem

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E270 cdi /2004/OM647
Thanks for sharing. I changed mine with OEM ones couple of years ago. I have driven 30,000 km since then and I am experiencing the same problem as yours. Can you post a link where did you buy Corteco engine mounts for GBP70?

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Mine (the same model) also starts with a jolt, should probably change them too but keep looking at w164s as a replacement instead

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Can you post a link where did you buy Corteco engine mounts for GBP70?

ECP, put your reg in and they are under "Suspension and Steering"

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for sharing. I changed mine with OEM ones couple of years ago. I have driven 30,000 km since then and I am experiencing the same problem as yours. Can you post a link where did you buy Corteco engine mounts for GBP70?
I bought them on EBay, they were new obviously. I'll send you a link, not sure about the rules regarding posting that publicly, or am I being paranoid?

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The ECP Lemforder mounts were around £120-30 so these are £50 less. I must say I'm impressed with the quality. I have only heard good things about this brand. There's no questioning Lemforder of course, up to you.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom