W212 USB in console

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Hi all,
We have 2 USB sockets in the centre console in our 2016 W212.
I assume they're intended for USB sticks for the audio, but I'm trying to use one to power a wireless charging pad. Appears to work, at least initially, but then the old man is saying, after 20 mins, there's less charge in his phone than when he started.
Does anyone know what the wattage of the sockets would be and does anyone know if maybe the car will turn them off when there's a current draw and no signal back?
Has anyone used these sockets to power something?
thanks.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Hi all,
We have 2 USB sockets in the centre console in our 2016 W212.
I assume they're intended for USB sticks for the audio, but I'm trying to use one to power a wireless charging pad. Appears to work, at least initially, but then the old man is saying, after 20 mins, there's less charge in his phone than when he started.
Does anyone know what the wattage of the sockets would be and does anyone know if maybe the car will turn them off when there's a current draw and no signal back?
Has anyone used these sockets to power something?
thanks.
I don’t know the answer unfortunately but the wireless charging pads are very sensitive to the phone moving on then, a friend of mine experienced something similar to your dad where his phone wasn’t quite in the right field and was flicking in and out of charge, this then got both the phone and charger extremely hot to the point where the phone shutdown and wouldn’t boot until it had cooled.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom