W220 - ABS/ESP Fail, Speedometer dancing around

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Hi there,
Been a very long time since I visited these parts - happy to see y'all still around, even with a banner ad for each sub-forum ;)

My trusty old W220 320 CDI (post facelift) has received a reanimation-level servicing last month, as it was in a rather sad state for a while. New air strut, front brakes, shiny new steering rack and indeed a new MB OE power steering pump, bushings on the drive shaft... a whole bunch of TLC. Further gradual rectifications are in the works :) Despite it's 20 years it still drives like a dream!

However, a significant Freude Am Fahren-damping condition persists... it received two new Delphi ABS sensors on the front wheels as it had been limping in ABS/ESP fault mode for the better part of a year. For good measure, one front wheel bearing was also replaced.

Post-repairs, on ignition, ABS and ESP report no fault, but the moment one starts driving the following happens:

1) Braking more often than not causes the pedal vibration alert, at least a little;
2) Exceeding the speed by, say, 20 MPH will cause the ABS to disengage/show the ABS/ESP error;

and perhaps most confusingly...

3) Above about 18-20MPH the speedo starts to... dance around... up and down... like, when going 60 KM/h it may very wel jump down to 40 KM/h, and anywhere in between. It does not, it appears, ever display a speed higher than the one driven, only dip down to lower ones. Now - one thing that might be of note: When going 25-55 km/h, the digital speedometer (on the central display) joins the needle in its erratic speed reporting... however above about 75-80, it almost never does.

This tells me that:
- the higher the speed, the more frequent the signal;
- above a certain frequency the digital display (which is a bit... "lazy", so to speak) doesn't bother to display the briefly received erroneous speed;
- it would seem the issue is the computer now and then getting the WRONG signal, rather than NO signal;
- therefore - it is a signal error, not a calculation/processing error.

My most competent mechanic has replaced the ABS sensors (and this did eliminate the "at fault from ignition"-condition the car had previously) but is now suggesting it might be the ESP/ABS computer gone bonkers. I trust the man wholeheartedly, but as per above deductions, I have a measure of doubt about this claim. It's not... expensive to "prove" - a computer can be had for 30 quid and for another, what 40? I can have it reprogrammed by some Dude With A STAR-Laptop.

But it just does not seem to make sese the computer would suddenly kick ze proverbial bucket, and the nature of the issue tentatively suggests other possibilities may be at play. Electrical wiring? Corroded contacts? Warped "funny little metal disk with slits for sensor"...?

What sayeth ye, oh online Oracle of Wisdom of all things Mercedes...?

Also, in another part of town it appears I need to replace my differential, as it is giving me vibrations and sounds/groans of displeasure upon acceleration, up to about ~30-35 MPH, above which they make way for drive train sound-effects unbecoming of a Mercedes.

This is a known/presumed fault so I am not too concerned but what are your experiences with buying cat-in-the-bag replacement differentials...?

Cheers :)

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
There’s been more than one thread highlighting issues with aftermarket wheel speed sensors giving the wrong signals

OP
Irresistance

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Well... it does actually appear that in THIS case it may not be the sensors. I got Delphi, used them before, Mechanic recommends. Meanwhile, however, various new issues have arisen:

- ESP disengages and now and then (1 out of ~8 rides) the speedo stays at ZERO. Interesting thing; the car is basically lost, doesn't shift gear, stays in what ever gear it happened to be;
- Only solution is to stop, shut down, restart.
- After battery removal ESP would, for the first few starts, disengage immediately/report being broken
- As I drive it constantly engages and disengages until it just stops (ABS+ESP dead) and then I can drive like a normal person...
- But speedo keeps jumping up and down.
- I had ONE instance where the speedo stopped jumping (while ESP/ABS was dead) but upon restart went back to its antics :(

Now looking for an ESP computer. Any tips on difficulties/complications with replacing it? :)

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom