w220 compressor

hmang

Reaction score
my suspension compressor has started staying on for a long time.
it will turn off after a few minutes if i stop at a junction but then restart shortly afterwards.

the compressor seems very loud at times and not at others.

recently had the front of the car in the air (tyre change)...

usually when the suspension was fully extended ,all the air would escape and, when lowered back to the ground, the wheels would be right up inside the arches..the compressor would then kick in and correct the ride height.

now the air does not escape when the wheels raised off the ground, the ride height seems high (max), and the compressor runs much much more.

all suggestions welcome

duraman

Reaction score
Compressor sounds like its on its way out, had same problem on mine a few years ago. I was told if its not changed quickly, you can damage the relays aswell. What year is it as they brought out a modified part part for earlier models. Regards

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Get your compressor replaced NOW. If it fails you will have a bigger problem. You also may have a leak as the compressor is running more frequently or the compressor is less efficient than it used to be.

OP
H

hmang

Reaction score
thanks guys
looks like i'm looking for a compressor then...oh joy !

oh yes... it's a 2002 s 320 cdi

OP
H

hmang

Reaction score
thanks guys
looks like i'm looking for a compressor then...oh joy !

oh yes... it's a 2002 s 320 cdi

replaced the compressor, relay and fitted a modded comp pipe.

easy job. now she's sweet as a dicky bird.

the old comp has a plate pop riveted over a rubber gasket around the comprssor's big end.
3 of 4 of the rivets were corroded and broken, the plate had moved and no longer sealed the cavity hence the excessive noise.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
I noticed over the past few days that my compressor was making a lot of noise the same as hmang's car, although I did not have a problem of the car sitting high. When coming to a halt the noise would stop, therefore not easy to pinpoint exactly where the noise was coming from.

I spoke to stealership and they had a new compressor in stock £195.00 + VAT, also a pipe modification at £25.00 + VAT.
In comparison to the V-Class compressor it is very inexpensive as the V-Class compressor costs in the region of £700.00 + VAT.

I removed the splash guard on the off side front and as hmang said the compressor has a plate at the end that is pop riveted on. All 4 of the rivets were corroded and broken off. I drilled out the old rivets, cleaned the seal and re-riveted the back plate into place. When re-connected on the car again everything is working as it should, whether it will last or not I don't know, but it has to be worth a try rather than giving stealership more money than I have to.

The whole job took me just under 2 hours.

A word of caution.....The bracket where the compressor bolts on at the floating mounting nuts sometimes break when removing. I soaked mine with some WD40 before starting, then slowly loosened and tightened the nuts a few times to clear the threads, I then got my Dremel with wire brush attachment and gave the threads a good clean and the nuts came off with no problems.
An easy enough task and hopefully a cure that will last for another few years

Last edited:

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to update on my compressor problems......

I spoke to the head technician in the stealership regarding the compressor and he told me that Mercedes have told their workshops to fit a new relay when replacing the compressor.
The old relay was causing problems and a modified relay was designed. He does not know......and it has never been announced what the relay problem is.....but in hindsight I think it is worth changing before the compressor has to be changed.
At a cost of around £25.00 it is a lot cheaper than a new compressor and just might keep the old compressor going for a while yet.:wink:

OP
H

hmang

Reaction score
Just to update on my compressor problems......

I spoke to the head technician in the stealership regarding the compressor and he told me that Mercedes have told their workshops to fit a new relay when replacing the compressor.
The old relay was causing problems and a modified relay was designed. He does not know......and it has never been announced what the relay problem is.....but in hindsight I think it is worth changing before the compressor has to be changed.
At a cost of around £25.00 it is a lot cheaper than a new compressor and just might keep the old compressor going for a while yet.:wink:

good on yer 47p2

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update on the compressor relay.......
The original relay is prone to sticking on and burning out the compressor motor.
If your car has the original relay for the suspension compressor I would suggest that you change it sooner rather than later. It won't stop the rear plate falling off due to corrosion of the rivets, but it just might save the motor from burning out

JohnE320

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi (new member here - Hello all)

I've just bought a 2004 E320CDi, sounds like it has a similar problem. Some kind of electric motor runs fairly frequently, say every few minutes for 10-15 seconds, from the front somewhere. It always runs when I start the car, and also I notice it when accelerating at low speeds, but also at other random times. It's quiet enough that I can't hear it over, say, 40mph. The suspension at the front looks to be sitting slightly higher than at the back so that the car's nose looks to be in the air.

Is this the same problem? Do I (or more to the point the used car dealer where I bought it from 4 days ago) have to replace the compressor? It doesn't have airmatic suspension so I assumed it must be something else until I read this.

Any help appreciated.
John.

OP
H

hmang

Reaction score

I've just bought a 2004 E320CDi, sounds like it has a similar problem. Some kind of electric motor runs fairly frequently, say every few minutes for 10-15 seconds, from the front somewhere. It always runs when I start the car, and also I notice it when accelerating at low speeds, but also at other random times. It's quiet enough that I can't hear it over, say, 40mph. The suspension at the front looks to be sitting slightly higher than at the back so that the car's nose looks to be in the air.

Is this the same problem? Do I (or more to the point the used car dealer where I bought it from 4 days ago) have to replace the compressor? It doesn't have airmatic suspension so I assumed it must be something else until I read this.

Any help appreciated.
John.

mine was the airmatic john...sorry don't know what your prob is

Brian J

Reaction score
I have just replaced my compressor and relay (back plate blew off)but may I add a word of warning for anyone attemping this themselves, all 4 wheels must be off the floor as the rear bags can implode causing untold damage to the rear struts at £600 each it could be costly if you don't.Hope this is of help!!

Daltnor

New Registration
Reaction score

Any help appreciated.
John.

Hi Johon,

You have nothing to worry about, your vehicle is fitted with an SBC system (sensertronic brake control) this is an electrical brake system and the noise you hear is the electronic brake pump coming on at times. You will also sometimes hear this noise when you open the doors.

Cheers,
Darryl

Top Bottom