W220 Crank position sensor or immobiliser?

pwg

Reaction score
I have a 2000 S500 that has let me down 3 times in two days. On the first two occassions I'd travelled about 10 miles and turned off the ignition..and then the car wouldn't start. The engine turns over, but the 2 warning triangles on the display remain on. On the last occassion, the car stopped whilst I was travelling. The RAC gave assistance; they suggested disconnecting the battery to let the electronics 'reset' themselves. The car then started. In all probability & given other posts on the forum, I suspect the Crankshaft position sensor. However, could it be a faulty immobiliser kicking in? If the fault is the CPS, does anyone have the MB OEM part number? Has anyone used a non-OEM part, or is it not recommended / worthwhile? Are they easy to fit, even for a novice?

In anticipation, thanks for your help. Pete.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
If your crank sensor is on the way out then it will most likely exhibit problems when it gets hot. Typically this means that the engine will cut out once it's warmed up or whilst driving and although it'll turn over it may not restart until it's had a chance to cool down - anything from a few minutes to an hour.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As brandwooddixon.

You can measure it, 1kohm when good O/C when bad

5 in the link ans simple to fit

£48 from Bosch and do not use a cheap one if you do have to change it

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom