W220 Defective Display Airmatic

B

bigharj

My W220 (2003 S320 D) now shows 'Defective Display' every time I start the car. The 2 buttons that manage the suspension settings do not work now and the car has dropped to what looks like the lowest level.

Has anyone experience of this?

andys320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S211 280 CDi 2009, Porsche Boxster ,much missed Mercedes S320CDi 2003
Thankfully no experience of this, however if suspension is not raising presumably there is an issue.

Has this happened overnight?

Any noises from the compressor?

I would imagine relay or compressor has packed up and will need replacing, hopefullly that rather than struts, any cracking at the top of strut.

There may be a device between compressor and struts, feel there will be - is that leaking.

Someone with more/some knowledge will be along.

ELGRINGO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e230 c180 sl280 brabus a190 smar cart
As above need to know wheather the compressor is pumping when ignition on, replaced a few lately must replace relay as well.

OP
B

bigharj

Having read so many airmatic threads and getting worried over repair costs, I checked every fuse in the car and found a 20amp fuse had blown. I replaced it and everything worked OK!!!

However this was short lived whilst on a test drive, the message came back on again and the fuse had blown. Armed with a fistfull of 20amp fuses, I haved narrowed down the problem.

My wipers do not return back to the off position when they stop and stay in the vertical position, I kind of remember now this was at the same time as the defecive display message. Every time I use the wipers, they blow the airmatic fuse.

An electrical short somewhere but how best to fault find this I don't know. Is there much point in swapping the relays around until the wipers return back to the off position and then check whether the fuse blows? Is there much to the wiper system other then the stalk and the relays?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I would suspect a dodgy wiper relay initially..check each relay in turn until you find it..opening it up may give you some idea if it shows sings of arcing or burning .....

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
I would suspect a dodgy wiper relay initially..

Only in a Mercedes :shock:

Q. My air suspension doesn't work
A. The wiper relay is faulty :confused: :lol: :lol:

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
My first guess would be a damaged wire on the wiper circuit, perhaps near the motor.

OP
B

bigharj

Tried swapping out the relays to no effect, I will book into local Indy for star diagnosis.

Top Bottom