W220 DPF Retrofit - Doable?

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Hello,

Okay... all these posts about DPF today reminded me of a thing I was thinking about a while ago... I go to Germany quite a fair bit and as some of you probably know, they now have the Umweltzone in city centers which is not accessible to cars below EURO4. As it is, my W220 does not have a DPF, and so if I understand the regulations correctly, it does not qualify for the green sticker.

So, my question is: Is it at all possible to retro-fit a DPF into the car? From what I am reading, this is a complicated matter, requiring software reprogramming and various other complex adjustments, and in general it seems the hate of the DPF runs deep here ;)

If I am really honest I think I would prefer to avoid doing it, and would rather "suffer" having to park the car outside the "green zone" and use public transport (not a terribly bad plan in well-organized Germany) and not risk all the potential pitfalls of having a DPF, but purely as a theoretical idea - is it possible...? And what would be involved? I imagine there must a be quite a few DPF's lying about having been removed from various cars, would it be even remotely sensible to fit such a DPF back into a different car?

Many thanks :)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
it is probably do-able but it will not be cheap! there will be all the various sensors to wire up, modifications to fit the DPF into the exhaust, reprogramming and possibly even replacing the engine management system, then all the issues around getting the car emissions class changed to state that it is Euro 4 compliant etc

so do-able? possibly
sensible? definitely NOT (in my opinion, at least)

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
You can do this, but in order to obtain a new sticker you will have to have your car assessed at a TUV station in Germany.

I would expect that the cost would be prohibitive and instead you'd be better off either using public transport or selling you car and buying one with the kit already fitted.

OP
Irresistance

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Yyyeaah... no - I think the wisest thing to do is to simply use public transport, and leave the car in a car park. Generally I have found they are quite lenient with foreign cars (in all the years I've been driving into German cities I have never been bothered about not having a sticker - on both cars) but I am sure one day ze Polizei will catch up with me ;)

And reading about all the DPF issues here I think that, overall, I ought to rejoice the fact I do not have one :D Thanks for the replies!

However, in terms of TUV testing - I believe I read online that this is fairly normal/standard and does not cost much (talking double digit figures here).

Last edited:

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
There might not be a need for a "change in management" if your software variation supports it then it could be as simple as a 1 KB switch which will enable all DPF function. However not only would we need to see the software before hand! But we also make a living from removing the ****** things!!!!

Regards

The GAD Team

OP
Irresistance

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
There might not be a need for a "change in management" if your software variation supports it then it could be as simple as a 1 KB switch which will enable all DPF function. However not only would we need to see the software before hand! But we also make a living from removing the ****** things!!!!

Regards

The GAD Team

Hello yes I was actually considering to PM you about this, since you clearly are the Man to talk about these things.

Just out of pure curiosity... if I was to buy from you a (working) DPF that you removed from a W220 - what would the cost be? Coz a new one here is rather expensive... so I am just curious if you have any "lying around"...? Or do you pass them on/sell as needed to other parties?

Last edited:

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
Unfortunately we are mainly software engineers! We don't often get dirty. Your best place to find one would be the likes of ebay or see if any one is breaking a car that you could have the DPF from. Once again in theory its possible but I truly believe that the cons out weigh the pros!

From a software point of view there could be the DPF structures already there just not activated but on the other hand your vehicle could also be running a software variation in which it has no DPF structures and there is no "stand alone" management system for this purpose on the market. The only reason you would use "stand alone" would be for instance race cars in which the standard ECU's don't give you enough to play with.

Regards

The GAD Team

AdamG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI (2003)
I believe the egr cooler changed and there was an additional valve just before the air intake. Also there are some sensors on the dpf itself. This would mean the engine loom would need to be changed. Also the middle exhaust section may also be different.

Adam

OP
Irresistance

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
<<runs away screaming wondering who gave him this dumb idea>>

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom