W220 pre cat lambda sensor

Bertie Wooster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320cdi
Hello all!
Bit of a long one, so please bear with me.

So, I'd really appreciate some help with a recurring issue I've been having with my S320 cdi.
For about the last 10k miles, I've been getting an EPC fault showing on the dash display. A scan with my Carsoft MB2 shows it as a pre cat sensor. I've included a pic of the error code, as well as live data for what that sensor is doing when the engine is running.

The car runs pretty well, returning about 44 to 45 on a run, pulls like a train and once up to temperature is sweet as the proverbial cashew. Once in a while though, it can act a bit lumpy (best description I can think of!), with slight hesitation and gently fluctuating revs around 1500 rpm when cold, and even then it's only on the first start of the day. Once warmed, all is fine.

Anyway, I'm rambling, sorry. My question is, what's the best form for replacing this sensor? Ive located it and it seems straightforward enough. I've taken a pic of the unit currently fitted. I'm pretty sure someone has had it off before now as the cable ties aren't original. Also, a look at past MOTs shows an EPC fault (which I can only assume is the same one) has been hanging around for about the last 25k.

Can I use the Bosch part number (which a bit of research through the Bosch catalogue reveals as 0258017020), or would there be a more cost effective replacement. Should it be a Mercedes original?
Like I said, the car runs 99%, but a fault code that returns every 1k miles is staring to annoy me. I might be a bit anal, but in my eyes this is my dream car and it deserves better.
Thoughts please chaps!

Sorry for rambling. I've learned loads from the forum since joining and am always impressed with the friendly, knowledgeable community spirit that pervades. I've always been pretty handy with the spanners, and in particular in fixing mercs. From head gaskets to gearboxes (w126 and w202), brakes to bodywork (a w123 that had grass growing inside when I bought it!), I've been stupid enough to fall headfirst into the joys of Stuttgarts finest!

Best,
Bertie.

IMG_5984.JPG IMG_0480.JPG IMG_0481.JPG

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi Bertie, given its not a huge cost item, why not get it from MB Grangemouth..Fraser will give you a good price as a forum supporter....

OP
B

Bertie Wooster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320cdi
Hi Bertie, given its not a huge cost item, why not get it from MB Grangemouth..Fraser will give you a good price as a forum supporter....

Good point, John. Can't hurt to get a quote. I've sourced a Bosch replacement for around £85, so I've always got that as a fallback.
Thanks for the advice!

Best
Bertie

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom