W220 - Vibration

ansta1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s500LWB/2002
Advice sought from the wise....

Just back from a Euro trip and on the glass smooth Motorways of France my w220 develops a vibration at about 75mph which goes away at about 90mph. Also braking at those speeds results in a heavy vibration. It's not coming through the pedal but can be felt through the steering wheel and the whole car. It is worse with the Airmatic set on hard.

So my thoughts are

Dodgy tyre
Wheel(s) out of balance
worn bushes

or something else.

It had it's yearly MOT last month with no advisories on Tyres, Suspension or Brakes. The rear tyres were replaced recently and fronts will need doing shortly, so that's likely to be the first bit changed.

Any thoughts

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Hah! Well... it seems we have a similar problem although mine happens 20 KM/h "later" (and also ends 20-25 KM/h later). Replacing rear struts helped a fair bit, but did not remove the problem entirely. Replacing the front 2 bushings of the rear subframe also helped a bit (less) but also no permanent fix. There is a thread on here somewhere with highly interesting information about this problem, am trying to find it for you...

I don't think tires play a big role in the whole issue. What I did NOT have, however, is vibration.shaking during applying the brake. Perhaps in your case it has a different cause. Gimme 5 I'll try and find the other post...

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Right - this one:
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=128445

Although this is primarily about a TC vibration. However, you will note a few more people have vibrations that start at high(er) speeds, and nobody seems to know what the problem is. If I had time on my hands (and a moderate bag of cash to buy parts with) I'd love to spend a week trying to figure this one out, it must be possible...

OP
A

ansta1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s500LWB/2002
Thanks for that, i had looked at some of the other 'vibration' threads but didn't see that one.

As mentioned on that thread, some people found it worse on better (french) roads than the UK ones.

First port of call will be new front tyres as they will need doing soon anyway.

Will then get wheel alignment checked and adjusted.

Full suspension bush check

Then propshaft drivetrain stuff.

Certainly no vibration to be felt driving above 100mph but the vibration on braking was still there which leads me to believe it's tyres/wheels/suspension related.

Oh and as per others on that thread i am running 18inch amg alloys.

Levitchi

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 320CDI
Hi ansta1..sorry I waking up a thread from 2015 but I have an exact issue like you with my w220....Did you sorți it out?what was the issue?Thanks

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom