W639 additional lighting.

Billy.mc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011. W639 Vito Traveliner 116, 2100cc.
Hi all, well I'm a tad old skool & having some fun with my vito!

I've purchased a light up Badge for my front grill which i was just going to splice into the sidelight feed using chock blocks, but cannot find any of the usual wireing for side lights or indicators as i also have ordered new LED sidelight / indicator lights which run above the existing headlight units!! i have also been unable to locate the fuse for either so at a loss as to how to wire these in? any help would be welcome from any who have done similar!

Cheers Mike
20240319_183538.jpg 20240319_183526.jpg

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I assume your vehicle is CAN bus wired? If it is you can't just splice into the side lights, it will bring up all sorts of error codes.
The same will apply fitting LED light bulbs.

OP
Billy.mc

Billy.mc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cheers, any ideas on where i can wire additional lighting, the grill will be better on a circuit live with ignition.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
You may find that the LED load doesn't trigger a fault, the 'error free' LED units have additional load that you don't want. But if it does throw an error it's likely to extinguish that cct and use the fogs instead.
That's down to trial and error, as in try and see if it throws an error.

Otherwise there are spare fuses in the under bonnet fuse box, and under the passenger seat come to that.
Spare fuse ways can be sourced from MB, or Ebay. But they are keyed.

A DVM would show which spare fuse ways come live with ignition on.

Attachments

• 639 Fuse Board.jpg
    639 Fuse Board.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 2
OP
Billy.mc

Billy.mc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You may find that the LED load doesn't trigger a fault, the 'error free' LED units have additional load that you don't want. But if it does throw an error it's likely to extinguish that cct and use the fogs instead.
That's down to trial and error, as in try and see if it throws an error.

Otherwise there are spare fuses in the under bonnet fuse box, and under the passenger seat come to that.
Spare fuse ways can be sourced from MB, or Ebay. But they are keyed.

A DVM would show which spare fuse ways come live with ignition on.
cheers i'll have a play, the badge light i will put a piggy fuse in, the side/indicator will need to connect to the unit to work so will try n hopefully it wont send the computer mad!! will update once done.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
If there are issues they will disappear when disconnected again.
You would have to cycle the ignition is all.

OP
Billy.mc

Billy.mc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If there are issues they will disappear when disconnected again.
You would have to cycle the ignition is all.
cheers.

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 2005 115 CDI W639, Saab 93 TiD
I have tried LED bulbs and find they are more trouble than they are worth. Being of Chinese origin they don't last five minutes, but you do become an expert on changing bulbs. As for headlight and sidelight bulbs I use the " Philips X-tremeVision PRO 150 " series,from Amazon and they list all the headlight bulbs available and they are a match for any LED without the hassle.
I have fitted them into my Vito and SAAB 93 and they have been a revelation and last a long time in fact I am still running the same bulb , even with all these pot holes we have to contend with....but that's another story.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
The grill looks to have a built in connector, and I believe some MB vehicles do actually have illuminated stars, so worth a hunt around (or find the explored parts diagram) to see if it just plugs in.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom