W.H.Y?
Jon

andy_k

Reaction score
Website
www.ak3dgfx.com
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG
keep your eyes on eBay there have been a few around recently at sensible prices.

As for mileage, don't stress too much on that 150k is just run in and a well looked after 200k will drive like new.

Check any receipts for the head gasket being done (above 100k it should have been changed) and if you are lucky you'll get one which has had the engine wiring loom replaced.

Apart from that, look for a rock solid idle speed around the 500rpm mark - if it's erratic I'd walk away from the car as it suggests possible ECU issues (which can get expensive).

Good luck in your search - the E320T is a great car especially with the 5 speed box

Andy

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I've noticed late 124s on e-Bay most weeks (good and bad) if you take your time occassionally very good ones come up. I don't know whether you've considered a 280, but its virtually the same car and some would say the better package. Not much difference in the performance but slighly more frugal.

I certainly would have traded my 124 300TE for the 280 but I moved on to 210's for the CDi engine.

Last edited:

Ramius

Reaction score
W124 300TE 24 Valve is the way to go if fuel is not an issue. I have one and love the car, performance and cost of purchase.

Again.....FUEL is a little expensive as the car returns 20 - 25 around town and 30 - 35ish motorway....

Still its a cracking engine!

maggot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190e
I have a w124 24v saloon and reckon the only way I'm going to get 35mpg is down a mineshaft ! Please let me know your secret for such a good mileage figure.

Should add its rather a stable door and horse scenario as I now have a twin turbo kit fitted, but still interested nevertheless.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom