Warranties!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Sub, thanks for the comprehensive insight and reply- your arguments are insightful and powerful! I have 6 months probably to decide as others have said too, so I will use the time wisely whilst enjoying the car!
And yes it is the 5.5 V8 Bi Turbo, coming up for 4 years since introduction - no really adverse reports yet.

4 years is long enough, so all sounds good.
Be interested to know how much they are charging nowadays

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Just a holy thread resurrection moment here- I just got a quote from MB for Tier 1 cover which surprised me in a pleasant way I must say...£1006 per year with a £250 excess. That's cheaper than warrantywise by a long chalk, who seem to be the only other one I would 'trust'- the others were £680/£890 range and not good reports...
I'm a little too early to renew but for peace of mind I'm inclined to do it

andynpz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 GLE 350d, navy-blue, --- SWMBO's car, 2007 SL 350, (R230) silver.
I endorse Sub's appraisal.

FWIW, I just bought the MB Tier 1, no excess, as a painless follow-on from my MB used car warranty on the CL, for £1189. I say painless because I had two faults fixed in the first year and the dealer (Oxford) interpreted the wear and tear thing very much in my favour, replacing a couple of front suspension bushes - would have been ca. £400. Furthermore, you avoid any dealings with a third party if you do need something fixed.

W wise and W direct were both more expensive for lesser cover - one of them specifically excluded suspension at any cost!

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ thanks Andy, it would be £1330 with no excess so not terribly far apart, I'm comfortable with having an excess, like all warranties I hope I don't have to use it!
I do, like you, feel it's better just 'one stop' for any fixes- Mobilo to dealer, courtesy car and fix (In theory).
One downside is that it probably will mean leaving the car 'stock' but I reckon I can cope with that, it's pretty rapid anyway

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Just a holy thread resurrection moment here- I just got a quote from MB for Tier 1 cover which surprised me in a pleasant way I must say...£1006 per year with a £250 excess.

So you effectively pay the first £1256 of the first claim and £250 of any others in a year

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
So you effectively pay the first £1256 of the first claim and £250 of any others in a year
Is right Jon- it's the same in any 'first year' insurance scam, sorry scheme...
Just the chance you take. I could bank the £1256 and keep my fingers crossed that it would cover any issue of course, working on the basis my car is newer than the last one which gave me untold grief...
Bank £250 next year on the same basis, etc etc.
I could think of a few parts would cost more on a 63 than what I'd be nesting unfortunately

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Not much Jon, but then I'm not terribly lucky either...

I think the SL has left somewhat of a bad taste in your mouth John, I would stick £1500 in the bank

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I think the SL has left somewhat of a bad taste in your mouth John, I would stick £1500 in the bank
You could be right......

Mike2018

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350
What did you do in the end?

Found this topic searching for ones about warranties - I was going to post a new topic, but thought I'd reply to this instead, basically I'm looking for recommendations for (or warnings to avoid) an aftermarket warranty provider for my car - 2010 S212 E350 CGI, FSH, 83K miles.

The dealer I bought it from put a 6-month warranty on it from these people http://www.theautogroup.co.uk/Car_Warranty.aspx so I could just renew that, or switch to another provider.

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
What did you do in the end?

Found this topic searching for ones about warranties - I was going to post a new topic, but thought I'd reply to this instead, basically I'm looking for recommendations for (or warnings to avoid) an aftermarket warranty provider for my car - 2010 S212 E350 CGI, FSH, 83K miles.

The dealer I bought it from put a 6-month warranty on it from these people http://www.theautogroup.co.uk/Car_Warranty.aspx so I could just renew that, or switch to another provider.
I went with the Tier 1 Mike, happy to report no issues so unfortunately untested.... I will be doing the same again this year...
Haven’t heard anything about the auto group sorry

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I went with the Tier 1 Mike, happy to report no issues so unfortunately untested.... I will be doing the same again this year...
Haven’t heard anything about the auto group sorry
Smart move John as you never know ...
Met a chap at a dinner last week .. he went with one of the lesser companies .. and to his horror discovered Comand is not covered, digging further neither is the KH Amp, note that controls the moist stuff. Concerned he really went into it.
And discovered ABC was Excluded!
In his opinion its a complete waste of £610!

Quite astutely he pointed out ... there is no comfort here at all.
Because when you put the car in ... there is always an investigation. That is When it bites you in the arse. Say you think its electrical and covered ... they spend £270 and discover its an ABC controller. Well ABc is not covered, so then neither is the investigation bit.
In his words before putting it in the MB garage he needs to take it to an Indy to check its going to be covered. If not get the Indy to finish it, if it is covered then he can take it to MB!
A complete hassle!

His view is go MB, even if they throw parts unnecessarily at it, who cares .. just more of the car is renewed :):)

As you learnt before .. there are just so many oddthings that could break that cost a fortune.
Furthermore... yes highly unlikely but what about a complete failure of the gearbox or engine ... the latter makes it almost BER!
Thats OK if your car cost £7K, but not if it cost you £50K! And at the £50K end of the scale you dont really want some knackered second hand engine .... and all the sourcing pain.

YesI know its all highly unlikely ... but then I bet you insure your house against a fire! :):)

Last edited:

Mike2018

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350
I bet you insure your house against a fire! :):)
Indeed.

But what's the cost of that premium as a % of the value of the contents and building compared to the cost of a warranty as a % of the value of the car?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Indeed.

But what's the cost of that premium as a % of the value of the contents and building compared to the cost of a warranty as a % of the value of the car?

Ah but thats a discussion regarding value for money.
Insurance should be based on risk.

Personally I have never met anyone whose house burnt down, but I have met quite a few with sub 60,000 MBs who had very expensive suspensions and electrical issues :-/

The probability of your house burning down is very very low and I think the probability of your wheel sensors, HK Amp, ABC control units - struts, or other expensive electrical components going before 60,000 miles is far too high :)

When my SL turned 4, I spoke to MB warranty department , and they said their premiums were statistically based on the average repair costs going through the dealership Network plus a very small profit element .

I challenged that in my naivety, “what so one should expect £1,100 of repairs on a pampered 3 year old SL500 with 17,500 miles in the clock? I would not expect major repairs for at least 60,000 miles”

The answer was yes .... even with only 17,500 mikes thats what the stats show!

and after having 4 new R230s and a C216 ... he propably wasnt lying LOL ;) ;)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom