Warranty Direct Vehicle Cover

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BRABUS SL55 K8 (R230), SL500 (R129), B Class B200 CDi, VW T5 Transporter.
Tbh I think that as with any insurance company they will always try to minimise their costs.

Many people who have taken out car warranties do not bother to read the small print, which is a must, (the devil is in the detail) they then believe that they are covered for any type of mechanical or electrical failure.

I have found that over the years my experience in dealing with WD has been fair, since owning the car in 2008 warranty Direct have paid out around £10,000 in claims from my car with claims as follows....

Differential.
Supercharger Clutch.
Engine Mounts.
Gearbox Mounts
TPM Sensor (x3)
02 Sensors (x2)
Supercharger Tensioner.
MAP Sensor.
SRS Repair (under seat)
Gear Lever gate Repair (locked in park)
Propshaft Linkage repaired.
Throttle Body (the one that sits under the supercharger) Recirculating Air Flap!

....and now SBC Pump! :D :D :) :) :cool: :cool:

As you can see I have not done bad out of WD, for the firs 3 years I was paying £450 per year with £25 excess per claim with 100% cover for parts and 100% cover for labour and that included paying the expensive London main Dealer rates of which in several cases were £200 per hour!!!
Now that my car is older (10 years) they will only pay 50% of the parts cost but will pay 100% of the garage labour costs.

The only down part is that I have to pay the garage then claim the money back, which can take a couple of weeks before the cheque arrives on my doorstep but thats the only complaint. ;)

My recomenation is as follows.....

ALWAYS READ AND UNDERSTAND THE SMALL PRINT FROM THESE WARRANTY COMPANIES PRIOR TO TAKING OUT YOUR VEHICLE COVER, WHAT MAY SEEM TO BE GOOD COVER FOR A BUDGET PRICE CAN OFTEN MEAN YOU HAVE NO COVER AT ALL!!!

BRABUS R230.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
O will get mine out and read it all :D

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Now that my car is older (10 years) they will only pay 50% of the parts cost but will pay 100% of the garage labour costs.

BRABUS R230.

Agree 100% with everything written. Re the above - there are at least two members here who played the standoff game when considering & WD backed off.

The sliding scale percentage based on age was only introduced this year (the mileage scale was always there but that's reasonable I think)

Daft thing is, I tried them for the aston - £1500 (ie twice what it was for the SL55) and they didn't budge - although I had made it clear it wasn't required yet, so maybe later

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I've taken this from the other thread when I realised you'd started a new one.

I just renewed mine and as the car is going over 60K miles then the "betterment" clause whereby they reduce the parts contribution kicks in. I read on a forum shomewhere that they'll waive that if you ask them, so I did and they cheerfully agreed. I don't know hwo long they'll do that for though.

I also have zero excess - they waived that when I first took the policy, but it appeared on this year's renewal. A "mistake" they said.

It seems to me that when you first take a WD policy, they'll agree to almost anything to get you to sign up. I did have far too much trouble getting the paperwork right though, and even now some things are only written in emails and not contained in the policy doc or schedule, which I'm not thrilled about.

The only down part is that I have to pay the garage then claim the money back, which can take a couple of weeks before the cheque arrives on my doorstep but thats the only complaint.

Touching a massive piece of wood, I've never needed to claim. Can I ask if the dealer OK with the hassle of dealing with WD? I used to run company lease car and know they hated dealing with maintenance controllers, but they didn't have a ny choice as they paid the bill.

Warrantywise

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MERCEDES SL900
Tbh I think that as with any insurance company they will always try to minimise their costs.

Many people who have taken out car warranties do not bother to read the small print, which is a must, (the devil is in the detail) they then believe that they are covered for any type of mechanical or electrical failure.

I have found that over the years my experience in dealing with WD has been fair, since owning the car in 2008 warranty Direct have paid out around £10,000 in claims from my car with claims as follows....

Differential.
Supercharger Clutch.
Engine Mounts.
Gearbox Mounts
TPM Sensor (x3)
02 Sensors (x2)
Supercharger Tensioner.
MAP Sensor.
SRS Repair (under seat)
Gear Lever gate Repair (locked in park)
Propshaft Linkage repaired.
Throttle Body (the one that sits under the supercharger) Recirculating Air Flap!

....and now SBC Pump! :D :D :) :) :cool: :cool:

As you can see I have not done bad out of WD, for the firs 3 years I was paying £450 per year with £25 excess per claim with 100% cover for parts and 100% cover for labour and that included paying the expensive London main Dealer rates of which in several cases were £200 per hour!!!

The only down part is that I have to pay the garage then claim the money back, which can take a couple of weeks before the cheque arrives on my doorstep but thats the only complaint. ;)

My recomenation is as follows.....

ALWAYS READ AND UNDERSTAND THE SMALL PRINT FROM THESE WARRANTY COMPANIES PRIOR TO TAKING OUT YOUR VEHICLE COVER, WHAT MAY SEEM TO BE GOOD COVER FOR A BUDGET PRICE CAN OFTEN MEAN YOU HAVE NO COVER AT ALL!!!

BRABUS R230.
Hi guys

Just thought we'd provide some input here, some great points. With extended warranty not being something people are perhaps as read up on as other products, car insurance for example, it is refreshing to see people taking the time to understand how we work.

We constantly convey the importance of reading the terms and conditions of our literature to our current and prospective customers, whilst trying to make said literature as simple to read as possible. We have 5 cover levels available, each of which has varying levels of what's covered. The customer can decide which suits their requirement and/or budget, but we will always advise the highest level of cover available for the car in question's age and mileage. Our online quoting system automatically does this too.

We couldn't agree more with the point regarding the budget price warranties on the market. These are particularly rife in the car dealer trade and a lot of customers have been left unhappy. We never shy away from the fact that we aren't the cheapest warranty, as we are safe in the knowledge that we are providing the UK's best used car warranty, a slogan we've used, unchallenged, on our advertising for the past couple of years.

Thanks guys

Please feel free to ask any further questions you may have through the Supporters Area.

Just one further note - We pay all repairs within 7 days!

Thanks again
Warrantywise

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Hi guys

Please feel free to ask any further questions you may have through the Supporters Area.

Just one further note - We pay all repairs within 7 days!

Thanks again
Warrantywise

ok - if you are reading the forum, you'll see the ongoing saga of the case you just quoted. Apparently a connecting clip has broken, necessitating a new part of the loom (a new loom would be needed at a cost of £1340 plus vat, plus fitting!) - would you cover this?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I would avoid Warrantywise if they don't answer your reasonable question and advise others too.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
well, I'll just bump this up to the top - the rep from WW is online - would hate for him/her to miss the opportunity to reply :p

Warrantywise

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MERCEDES SL900
Hi guys

Just been trawling through to try and find previous details regarding this 'saga' ? Can someone direct me to the relevant threads/posts? I can then answer your queries.

Cheers
Warrantywise

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi guys

Just been trawling through to try and find previous details regarding this 'saga' ? Can someone direct me to the relevant threads/posts? I can then answer your queries.

Cheers
Warrantywise

It is here http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=102284 but truthfully I do not think that it is easy to answer.

It is mainly a case where a job was approved by WD and the job went wrong and the dealer wanted a lot more money when a part broke

Warrantywise

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MERCEDES SL900
It is here http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=102284 but truthfully I do not think that it is easy to answer.

It is mainly a case where a job was approved by WD and the job went wrong and the dealer wanted a lot more money when a part broke
Thanks

Having a look through now. Let us have a good look through it all and we'll come back asap.
Seems a tricky one as it's an individual case, of which we don't know the exact ins and outs. What we'll try to do, as always, is to tell you straight how we would deal with the same issue.

Cheers
Warrantywise

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks

Having a look through now. Let us have a good look through it all and we'll come back asap.
Seems a tricky one as it's an individual case, of which we don't know the exact ins and outs. What we'll try to do, as always, is to tell you straight how we would deal with the same issue.

Cheers
Warrantywise

This is a very rare case and I think just pure greed on behalf of the dealer, you just cannot win 100% on every job, and at £110 per hour plus VAT they are not loosing anyway even if they swallow the cost

Warrantywise

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MERCEDES SL900
Thanks

Cheers
Warrantywise
Hi guys

Definitely more of an issue with the repairing garage here than the warranty company.

Regarding labour rates - we use Autodata to ascertain specific labour times for whatever the job may be - as you can appreciate some repair facilities attempt to pull the wool over our eyes, so it's imperative we have something to check this off with. Documentation is sent to the plan holder and repairing garage on authorisation of any repair, detailing exactly what we are paying. The hourly labour rate we will pay is determined at plan inception - ie £35,£50,£75,£100,£150,£200.

After discussions with our repair technicians, I am informed the SBC pump failure is a common problem, of which we've paid a substantial amount on repair claims. PLEASE NOTE - This part would only be covered on our 04/40 & 06/60 plan levels (http://www.warrantywise.co.uk/car-warranty/whats-covered/)

Unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to cover the clip or loom if we were the ones dealing with this repair. Particularly when it appears the issue lies with the repairing garage.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Warrantywise

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Hi guys

Definitely more of an issue with the repairing garage here than the warranty company.

Regarding labour rates - we use Autodata to ascertain specific labour times for whatever the job may be - as you can appreciate some repair facilities attempt to pull the wool over our eyes, so it's imperative we have something to check this off with. Documentation is sent to the plan holder and repairing garage on authorisation of any repair, detailing exactly what we are paying. The hourly labour rate we will pay is determined at plan inception - ie £35,£50,£75,£100,£150,£200.

After discussions with our repair technicians, I am informed the SBC pump failure is a common problem, of which we've paid a substantial amount on repair claims. PLEASE NOTE - This part would only be covered on our 04/40 & 06/60 plan levels (http://www.warrantywise.co.uk/car-warranty/whats-covered/)

Unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to cover the clip or loom if we were the ones dealing with this repair. Particularly when it appears the issue lies with the repairing garage.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Warrantywise

Thanks - a fair response, although the qualification "particularly" in your sentence could be construed a pretty wide get-out.

I agree the garage appears to have caused the unjustifiable damage, so I wouldn't expect any warranty policy to pay out under those circumstances but in a (sort of) similar case of mine, despite all best efforts by a dealer with nothing to prove in terms of diligence, when a power steering line sheared off the dual ABC/steering pump as the pump was being replaced, your competitor paid up.

Each case needs to judged on its own merits though

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I thanked you for your honest post, but only covering SBC on vehicles up to 6yrs/60K miles is pretty useless.

I tried you when my last WD renewal was due and your pricing was insane (more than double WD).

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Would WarrantyWise not take up the claim by the driver given the garage claim that it was broken when the pump removed after WD approved the repair? Do you guys not offer some 'legal' cover you could support the driver with?

I am with WD , because as Rory says , your pricing was just bonkers had my car qualified for your cover ..... might be the best cover (but i doubt that based on what i got from WD .. 10 yr old SL500 60k miles)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The SBC has been covered and done free so far in the UK, so no point in saying 6 years as that time has past

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks - a fair response, although the qualification "particularly" in your sentence could be construed a pretty wide get-out.

There's nothing to get out of, he says in the previous sentence that they wouldn't pay.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
They have answered so I applaud that.
There were a few caveats but that is understandable, they are not privy to all the information.

Warrantywise

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MERCEDES SL900
Would WarrantyWise not take up the claim by the driver given the garage claim that it was broken when the pump removed after WD approved the repair? Do you guys not offer some 'legal' cover you could support the driver with?

I am with WD , because as Rory says , your pricing was just bonkers had my car qualified for your cover ..... might be the best cover (but i doubt that based on what i got from WD .. 10 yr old SL500 60k miles)
We send an assessment form to the the repairing facility for them to fill in and return. As mentioned in my previous post we decipher the labour time for the job in question. The customer will have a rate of labour they are covered for, which if the garage rate exceeds, the customer will have to pay the difference. Once the repair is authorised we send supporting documentation detailing what we are paying (in case it isn't in parallel to the invoice price from the repair facility) and to give the go ahead for the repair work to be done.

To answer your question - If after this repair is done we encounter the problems in this case, any part failure would not be classed as a sudden mechanical or electrical one, but rather something that would need to be taken up with the repair facility as they would be the ones liable. We would only be able to pay on the initial repair we were given assessment for.

I hope this makes sense

Have you done a quote recently online?

Thanks again
Warrantywise

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom