Water/Methanol Injection

DomCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK270 CDI
Hi All,

Who has it and what are your opinions?

It's a part of my long term plan for modding my 270CDI.

Cheers

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
as you have a diesel, im not sure methanol would burn slowly enough to prevent the engine destroying itself. water injection will serve to cool combustion temps a bit, which is why cars used for competition purposes often run it. it also means that more ignition advance can be run. whether running both simultaneously would manage combustion rates/temps enough to avoid destroying a diesel, i wouldnt like to speculate.

what, exactly, are you trying to achieve with the car?

OP
D

DomCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK270 CDI
Hi Pete,

In there words of our Immortal Motoring God 'POWERRR!'

But on a serious note I've heard that the turbos that will fit on my engine do not like high EGTs, as I can't really afford a super hybrid jobby I thought it'd be a good way of keeping them down and a standard turbo happy. Also they're apparently good at significantly reducing smoke, never a bad thing on a diesel.

The auto ignition temp of Methanol is a good 100 degrees C above diesel, so I think it starts to burn after the diesel. Plan is to use screenwash, basically.

Last edited:

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 amg, Renault G Espase 2.0Dci 175+, Megane 265 cup
adding LPG to a diesel helps with a good power boost

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
It wont do much for power, but it wiil reduce your EGT's by 200-300 degrees f if its injected straight into the inlet after the turbo and intercooler.

On a petrol engine it allows you to run more ignition advance, on a diesel it allows you keep EGT's in check

You would need to monitor your EGT's if you are using it as a way of keeping the temps in a safe range, as if the system failed they would shoot up and cause problems quickly.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Would need to be a fail safe system too - a gut full of water would NOT be good.
Unless EGT's are a problem - much higher boost etc - I would leave well alone.
Most black smoke problems with 270's are caused by egr malfunction. Get that deleted and removes any issues there.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom