Well this confirms no more C63 amg

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
But if the four pot is more powerful and more economical than the V8, what's not to like ? Presumably they can tune the exhaust to sound like a V8 when you apply the loud pedal ? It may be more reliable than a V8, four cylinder engines are certainly cheaper to work on, and service. The world is changing, Embrace the new, I say, or at least critically evaluate it after someone else has tested it ;) .

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
But if the four pot is more powerful and more economical than the V8, what's not to like ? Presumably they can tune the exhaust to sound like a V8 when you apply the loud pedal ? It may be more reliable than a V8, four cylinder engines are certainly cheaper to work on, and service. The world is changing, Embrace the new, I say, or at least critically evaluate it after someone else has tested it ;) .

Lets not forget things like the Mitsubishi Evo FQ400! A 2.0 ltr 4 pot with 400bhp way before the likes of the VAG/A class got there. That was not user friendly (having tried one) and it seemed like that was a deliberate lets push it as far as we can job. They are easier to work on but, an engine is an engine and the more tight and complex the engine bay, the worse it is. It will be the complexity of the additional hybrid model, electronics, communications etc. Additionally cars are now more influenced by purse strings rather than passionate engineers (for the most part). Thus said, its nice to see what comes out, how stuff is engineered for better or worse and what the new measure of performance looks like.

For many (typically the average consumer) these small capacity engines are a gem and for others (petrol heads) they are not, I'm in the latter camp.

As ever its always going to be true petrol heads who keep the niche old stuff running and well at that.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Cosworth were putting out up to 600bhp 20 years ago in their BTCC cars. It's not a new phenomenon to get 500bhp out of a 4 pot.
I would wonder at the longevity of the engine though and wouldn't envisage getting 200k+ miles out of them like the current V8's are capable of.
I hope the 4 pot C63's don't sound like the farty A45/RS3's running around now.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Trouble is the target market thinks the latest A45/RS3's sound wicked innit so that's what the men in white coats will make it sound like at the direction of the marketing muppets.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Lets not forget things like the Mitsubishi Evo FQ400! A 2.0 ltr 4 pot with 400bhp way before the likes of the VAG/A class got there. That was not user friendly (having tried one) and it seemed like that was a deliberate lets push it as far as we can job. They are easier to work on but, an engine is an engine and the more tight and complex the engine bay, the worse it is. It will be the complexity of the additional hybrid model, electronics, communications etc. Additionally cars are now more influenced by purse strings rather than passionate engineers (for the most part). Thus said, its nice to see what comes out, how stuff is engineered for better or worse and what the new measure of performance looks like.

For many (typically the average consumer) these small capacity engines are a gem and for others (petrol heads) they are not, I'm in the latter camp.

As ever its always going to be true petrol heads who keep the niche old stuff running and well at that.
They can, but until the turbo spools up its flatter than a witches tit

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
RS3 is a 5 cylinder engine. Sounds pretty good to me, bust still prefer a NA V8.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I did harbour vague thoughts about getting a CLS Shooting Brake 63 one day if I ever get tired of my V6 Oil-burner but it won't be with a 4 cylinder engine!!
F1 cars can get crazy HP from a 1.6 engine but I like a good burble to announce my arrival and a hearty rasp when I'm putting the young whippersnappers in their place.

CJD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 AMG Line, Premium Plus, S205 Estate, 2018
We always have this scenario, when engine cylinders get downsized - superchargers are replaced / superseded with turbos etc etc.
It was the same when Porsche went to water cooled and then the horror of 4 cylinder turbos etc etc.

But after everything calms down, and people who aren't dyed in the wool enthusiasts, maybe new customers drive them - they will like them !!
The sales still continue to rise, because the cars are generally quicker and easier to drive.

You know what, Mercedes / Porsche etc won't care - their sales will continue to be good and that's all they care about -
That and the fact they are already looking way beyond ICE cars.

If you like big engined, V8 cars - buy, drive and enjoy them while you still can.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I hope the 4 pot C63's don't sound like the farty A45 running around now.

It is that engine with a hybrid system attached.

The RS3 is a 2.5L 5 pot turbo, sounds awesome a la UR Quattro

Last edited:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
It is that engine with a hybrid system attached.

The RS3 is a 2.5L 5 pot turbo, sounds awesome a la UR Quattro

Not much hope for a decent exhaust note then.
None of the Audi range sound much good to me in comparison to a V8 AMG.
The RS3 engine is the same one found in the Audi TT (ala the hairdressers car);)

Reactions: DSK

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
The RS3 engine is the same one found in the Audi TT (ala the hairdressers car);)
Nothing at all wrong with that engine, regardless of which car it is fitted to. :cool:

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Nothing at all wrong with that engine, regardless of which car it is fitted to. :cool:

I agree. Its an excellent engine.
Just doesn't sound too good to me which was the point of my first post.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
I did harbour vague thoughts about getting a CLS Shooting Brake 63 one day if I ever get tired of my V6 Oil-burner but it won't be with a 4 cylinder engine!!
F1 cars can get crazy HP from a 1.6 engine but I like a good burble to announce my arrival and a hearty rasp when I'm putting the young whippersnappers in their place.

I'll have the diesel if you're fed up with it, Stuart... ;)

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
A turbo four just won’t sound / feel the same as a v8, it can’t!

I’d rather have the instant torque and refinement of an electric car than a super peaky four, I think Merc will have a shock - people buy the AMG’s for so much more than just raw power. I’ve driven a model 3 performance Tesla, which is mind-blowing. Doesn’t have the emotion of a v8, but take that feel and aural pleasure away, and then why the hell would you buy the amg over an electric car?

The Tesla does 0-60 in about 3.4sec, and now has a “track mode” that allows power slides - take away the c63’s heart, and it then can’t really be justified against the alternatives...... dunno what the M3 will have next but unless they go the same way, that’s the end of the c63 as we know it.

I drove an A45 and whilst it was bl**dy fast it was horrible. Just uncomfortable and hard and noisy, but it wasn’t a nice noise, it was just noise....

I am an electric car convert now, loving it love the torque, love the instant power, the refinement and how damn cheap they are to run - but I can still see the appeal of a true AMG V8 - but an AMG 4 cyl isn’t an AMG in my book.....

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Just doesn't sound too good to me which was the point of my first post.

L:eek:ve the sound of that 5 Cyl at full chat, reminds me of Hannu Mikkola in a S1 Quattro sideways in Keilder Forest

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom