What is a realistic cost for rear brake pipes replacement?

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Hi I needed 2 new rear brake pipes that go from the rear wheels to...... a union? or where ever. I got a quote from MB Hughes of Aylesbury and was shocked at the cost. I won't put it here yet, but what would be a price that I should espect to pay. Any MB garages quotes would be appreciated and will not be discussed with Hughes, as I have had the work done at a local indy. How many hours labour would there be?
My car is an 2005 EClass estate 1800, which has the SBC Braking system.

Thank you
Brian

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
I had 2 cut back to halfway under the car and a front pipe reflared for £130.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i changed all the back pipes with new nuts ect for £20.00 thats left /right rear and one long rear to front with a joint. still have some pipe remaining.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Around that, depending on model and acess under the subframe.
So you think a quote of £1200 a bit excessive. lol. Yes that is the quote. They said that the rear axle has to be lowered to get to the pipes etc. Yes this is a MB Garage. As I said, I had it done at an Indy and they charged me 3 hours Labour, which I thought was a little excessive as well, but it's done now.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
some rear pipes are a pita to get too pal but 1200 quid is an utter p*** take , 3 hours labour isn't too bad to be fair

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Thank you. Yes I think MB are a little steep. What were they thinking when they designed this car? SBC braking sytem that fails. brake pipes that you have to lower the axle to replace. Other than that nice car.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I good few cars run the brake pipes behind axles , subframes or fuel tanks pal not just mercedes

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you. Yes I think MB are a little steep. What were they thinking when they designed this car? SBC braking sytem that fails. brake pipes that you have to lower the axle to replace. Other than that nice car.

When you cut the pipes back to a good section. Routing becomes easier. Mb would of replaced the complete pipe in this case routing becomes nigh on impossible. Hence the back end needs to be lowered. Everything mb does is very expensive to most. Some however just open up a cheque book and sign. For instance rear brake pads change on my c250 £195. Front pads and discs £495.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
When my 1989 E-Class failed the mot because of rusty brake pipes, I bought copper brake pipe, removed the easy pipes, made up the ends with my son's flaring tool, but when it can to doing the rear it looked like the rear sub-frame had to removed. I didn't like the thought of doing that. What I did (as the copper pipe was very flexible) was to tape the new pipe to the old and as I pulled the old out, I feed the new in slowly which help to go around bends and once the new piece was in place, I used the flaring tool to finish making up the line and screwed them in to where they go. I was very impressed with myself and the estate went through its mot :cool:
Cost was £7.50 for the pipe and a few pounds for the fluid ;)

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When my 1989 E-Class failed the mot because of rusty brake pipes, I bought copper brake pipe, removed the easy pipes, made up the ends with my son's flaring tool, but when it can to doing the rear it looked like the rear sub-frame had to removed. I didn't like the thought of doing that. What I did (as the copper pipe was very flexible) was to tape the new pipe to the old and as I pulled the old out, I feed the new in slowly which help to go around bends and once the new piece was in place, I used the flaring tool to finish making up the line and screwed them in to where they go. I was very impressed with myself and the estate went through its mot :cool:
Cost was £7.50 for the pipe and a few pounds for the fluid ;)

Which is what mb could do. But wis says otherwise.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

Great understatement, £1200 a little steep.

I would say its a positively vertical p take.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Why do they have to be replaced with the same pipe that will do the same thing again, cant they just be replaced with a flexible pipe that can easily be routed

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why do they have to be replaced with the same pipe that will do the same thing again, cant they just be replaced with a flexible pipe that can easily be routed
In an ideal world..

peternutkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi estate 2001
I recently fitted a new water pump, thermostat and temperature sensor to my w203 d, the parts cost me around sixty five pounds, done by MB you could probably add a thousand pounds to that. I think they assume that if you can afford a MB you can afford to pay their repair prices - I paid less than 500 pounds for mine.

Peter

Bogus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230E 1992. BMW X3 2.0 d. X drive 2012

A franchised dealer is almost always going to replace like for like using parts supplied by the “company” its very likely that they have spares targets to meet in addition to car sales targets, if they want to keep the franchise, plus there will be a desire and maybe an obligation to keep it all as original as possible. Thats why people go to independent repair shops, where options exist, and costs can be reduced, all without affecting functionality.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
A franchised dealer is almost always going to replace like for like using parts supplied by the “company” its very likely that they have spares targets to meet in addition to car sales targets, if they want to keep the franchise, plus there will be a desire and maybe an obligation to keep it all as original as possible. Thats why people go to independent repair shops, where options exist, and costs can be reduced, all without affecting functionality.

I know that, I will be needing mine done next year so am assessing options, £1200 is a touch steep so if they can be done with a flexible pipe that can easily be routed then surely anyone in their right mind will do that rather than paying out for a pipe that will do exactly the same again

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom