What non MB SUV?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Still don’t think you’ll beat a Honda CRV - ideal for those garden centre trips
I hate Honda's almost as much as I hate Toyota's :(

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I hate Honda's almost as much as I hate Toyota's :(
Problem with them is that they’re so very good at what they do. Bit strange disliking something because it’s good, but that’s human nature - probably why I love my Land Rover so much - because it’s so bad…:rolleyes::oops::eek:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Problem with them is that they’re so very good at what they do. Bit strange disliking something because it’s good, but that’s human nature - probably why I love my Land Rover so much - because it’s so bad…:rolleyes::oops::eek:
It's mainly because they are so ugly. Maybe the C-RV is not so extreme but the Civic is bad, Nothing flows in their design, particularly the R Type. As for Toyota I feel that they have completely lost their way with design all together. I guess it is all down to personal taste o_O

usernamed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class W204 (2012) C 220 CDI
It's mainly because they are so ugly. Maybe the C-RV is not so extreme but the Civic is bad, Nothing flows in their design, particularly the R Type. As for Toyota I feel that they have completely lost their way with design all together. I guess it is all down to personal taste o_O

Agree completely, Toyota and Honda don’t seem to know how to stop designing cars these days. You can picture the design drawings being dragged from the designer’s hands as they desperately try to add just one more line or crease to the bodywork surface.

On the upside, if someone crashed into one, you’d never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Agree completely, Toyota and Honda don’t seem to know how to stop designing cars these days. You can picture the design drawings being dragged from the designer’s hands as they desperately try to add just one more line or crease to the bodywork surface.

On the upside, if someone crashed into one, you’d never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello and welcome

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All modern small SUV’s are abominations to look at (other opinions are available) :rolleyes:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
My Father has a '17 plate BMW X1 2.0i M-Sport in Estoril Blue with Grey Leather. Really can't fault it, nice to drive, very spacious and great VFM

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not me but I do concede the build quality isn't on a par with Mercedes or Audi.
The Jeep Renegade is a Fiat Punto underneath perish the thought :eek:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Punto? I thought it was the bigger Fiat 500? ... the one Peter Kay drives in the Car Share
Oh, could be. I was under the impression that it was a Punto :rolleyes:

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
We're on our second BMW X1. First was a diesel X drive 2.0D (4wd). Current is a petrol S drive 20i.(FWD) . The petrol is smoother, quieter and nicer to drive to drive. We never go out in snow or off road so the X drive was an expensive luxury we didn't need.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Possible GLB 35
GLB? Unless you don’t want a Mercedes’.

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
My thoughts are, “just because that’s what she wants doesn’t mean that’s what she’s going to get”!
Ah, she has to drive it so it's her choice......

Have a look at the Nissan Juke Nismo RS. You can get an auto with 4WD.
She hated the adverts on TV and doesn't like the styling...

Lexus make a nice SUV

They look nice but they are bigger than the GLC..

Rear seat passengers have next to no head room ....

She likes the E Pace but the GLC is too big? Are they not about the same size??

I'm going to do a spreadsheet of dimensions etc., The GLC is fractionally wider and 200mm longer but she just thinks it looks much bigger especially side on.. We are talking about womans logic here!

The X3 has the IL6 3 litre engine so well worth a test drive

Toooo Big for her! The X1 is as big as she would go..

Honda CRV… (I’m presuming the management is also retired…) ;)

She's retired not dead....:)

Thanks for the responses, I shall continue this later....

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
I am ignoring comments about this suggestion being too big. But bear with me....

Until you have lived with a Range Rover, a proper one*, you won't know what you are missing out on. Truthfully they are worlds apart from almost everything else. Harry Metcalfe (Harry's garage) will tell you all about the L322 and why it is amongst the best cars in the world. Clarkson says exactly the same "Best car in the world". OK that was a few years ago, but the L322 has not really been superseeded by other SUV as yet.

This is so worth a watch if you are in the market for an SUV. Harry clearly loves it, and he is a man with millions of pounds worth of car collection, so this is high praise indeed:

They are easier to park than my SL.

If you take one for a test drive I cannot for a second imagine you will be anything other than very impressed.

Sure, lots of people are going to start claiming unreliability, but it just isn't true if like any car purchase you do your home work and buy a good one. I'd even go as far as suggesting a late L322 rather than the 402. "The 322 is the better 4x4/LR the 402 is a better car". V8s are best. Why does your wife have a strong feeling about how many cylinders there are? Does she count the bangs whilst driving? I have had 50mpg out of my V8 RR on the motorway.

Of course, they are not cheap to maintain, but that is nothing to do with reliability it is because they have a lot of expensive and complex gear on them to make them what they are.

Some of the suggestions here so far, so very very very ugly. Some of them are awful, some of them are just rubbish.

*A proper one- nothing but the Range Rover, that means no Velars, no Ewoks.

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Again, another great explanation as to why the L322 is the best SUV out there. "Metcalfe, Clarkson and the Queen all opted to stay with thier L322 rather than go to the 405".

I want another one now:

Not sure how much a new Qashqui costs, but hazarding they are about £30k, that still leaves £15k post-purchase in your back pocket to get an L322 in tip top form. I took mine all over Europe.

South of Vienna:

IMG_3449.JPG

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
This is what my Father bought

Except he put Grey leather in it

The X Line comes with Leather but doesn't have the colour coded body

I would be wary of the ride on the 19" wheels this has (will have run flats on), my father put the standard suspension on his (NCO) with 18" wheels (non run flats) and the ride is good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom