what products do you use?

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Claying, when done improperly can indeed damage the paint, as can using a sponge :(

The devil is in the detail, prior preparation is key.

Clay helps remove impurities from the paint such as tar spots, tree sap and bird lime. Having used clay many times over the last five years, I consider it to be an essential, it preps the paint ready for polish, sealant and/or wax.

Some polishes have fillers to help mask swirl marks (the previous owner of my car seemed to think automatic car washes were fine :D) and brings out the the shine in the paint. Wax acts as a lens and magnifies that shine.

I, on average clay three or four times a year (as well as removing all the impurities it'll take off all the wax), I polish the car once a month, which allows to me to wash the car weekly without having to do anything else.

clay bars however you jazz it up damage the paint. Use petrol to wipe of tree sap etc and bird ****e will come off with a soaking

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have clay bars but never used one yet, I had no swirl or other marks on any of my cars, and have non on my current one.

Aiden

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI Sport
I have clay bars but never used one yet, I had no swirl or other marks on any of my cars, and have non on my current one.

After owning my Merc for a little while now, I see the quality and swirl resistance of the paint, a far cry from my last car, you gave it a funny look and it would swirl :(

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
I realise post was probably very tongue in cheek, but I was told NEVER to wash a car with household fairy liquid or similar. The reason being the liquid is thickened by using Sodium Chloride, salt for those of you who did not do chemistry at school.

That said my dad has always washed his car with Teepol (industrial washing up liquid), when he runs out of car wash.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I realise post was probably very tongue in cheek, but I was told NEVER to wash a car with household fairy liquid or similar. The reason being the liquid is thickened by using Sodium Chloride, salt for those of you who did not do chemistry at school.

That said my dad has always washed his car with Teepol (industrial washing up liquid), when he runs out of car wash.

Also heard years ago it eats rubber.....

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
would you use plasticine with a mild detergent and rub it over your car??

same thing

Clay bar is an abrasive. Trizact discs are less harmful to paint

You cant tell me about polishing cars. I had an SLK previously and polished it upwith 3M stuff came up good

Polishing causes more scratches, just that they are finer and the edges of the existing scratches are smoothed which makes them look like they have gone

colour magic product s are great

minigibbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk230k
Good to see they're some keen detailers on the forum. I'll be starting mine once it's home :)

gary r

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 55 plate slk 350
i only use zanio excelent stuff expensive but it goes a long way

gary r

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 55 plate slk 350

washing up liquid we take any polish you have layed on , great if you want tp start from scratch

Last edited:
OP
S

shaggy

washing up liquid we take any polish you have layed on , great if you want tp start from scratch

I have used fairy liquid to strip the car before polish & wax

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Claying the car also strips everything back :)

It's something that I do about every four months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your car paint will be really thin and scratched

do you live in Delhi?

Aiden

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI Sport
your car paint will be really thin and scratched

do you live in Delhi?

*shakes head*

Modern metallic paints are protected by a clear coat on top of the colour. Claying in no way damages this clear coat, and therefore does not in any way damage the paint. The clear coat can be 'marred' by using excess pressure or insufficient lubricant.

If your car already has a layer of wax or polish, the clay simply removes this and allows you start afresh, removing impurities as you go.

Depth of paint can be calculated using a paint gauge.

http://www.paintdetective.com/why_use_a_paint_gauge.html

Certain car manufacturers do only use a thin coat of paint (for financial reasons). Mercedes is not one of these.

I hope this helps with your understanding of claying.

PS. I live on the west coast of Scotland.

jonnyquango

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220
I use Meg's mostly. Start off giving the car a blast with a jet wash, snow foam the car then use a lambs wool mitt & work in gently. Winter months I normally polish & wax due to lack of daylight. Come the merry month of May I clay the car, use Meg's cleaner using my Meg's buffer. Then polish, wax & finally use poor boys sealant.

For the wheels I use fairy liquid & plenty of it & use a mitt, & several brushes then hose down & dress the tyres again, using Meg's tyre gel.

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
*shakes head*

Modern metallic paints are protected by a clear coat on top of the colour. Claying in no way damages this clear coat, and therefore does not in any way damage the paint. The clear coat can be 'marred' by using excess pressure or insufficient lubricant.

If your car already has a layer of wax or polish, the clay simply removes this and allows you start afresh, removing impurities as you go.

Depth of paint can be calculated using a paint gauge.

http://www.paintdetective.com/why_use_a_paint_gauge.html

Certain car manufacturers do only use a thin coat of paint (for financial reasons). Mercedes is not one of these.

I hope this helps with your understanding of claying.

PS. I live on the west coast of Scotland.

wipe the car with petrol - im giving you money saving advice, which you will admire as you are from Scotland

Last edited:

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
im giving you money saving advice, which you will admire as you are from Scotland

That wont be necessary as once we are independent we will be all loaded ;) and our personal valet will be charged with the car detailing.

Just think of the UAE with less sand , crap weather and better scenery.

Kenny

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
That wont be necessary as once we are independent we will be all loaded ;) and our personal valet will be charged with the car detailing.

Just think of the UAE with less sand , crap weather and better scenery.

Kenny

Im not talking about current politics, but common theories on Scots (tight)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom