what year is safe rust wise

have you spotted rust on your car ? click the year if YES.

• I have no rust ! [please comment below with model & year]

Votes: 315 21.5%

Votes: 46 3.1%

Votes: 70 4.8%

Votes: 97 6.6%

Votes: 123 8.4%

Votes: 180 12.3%

Votes: 227 15.5%

Votes: 190 13.0%

Votes: 149 10.2%

Votes: 172 11.8%

Votes: 18 1.2%

Votes: 9 0.6%

Votes: 6 0.4%

Votes: 4 0.3%

Votes: 5 0.3%

Votes: 5 0.3%

Votes: 3 0.2%

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
1991 300ce-24

No rust except for very slight oxidation where roof tiles scraped off bonnet paint during a hurricane 8 years ago.

Brilliant car aside from inability to go in straight lines at more than 70mph.

RayH

Unmasked

New Registration
Reaction score
Certainly not 1997 & 1998. I had a 98 CLK230K (fab car, shame about the rust) & had the majority of the work, wheel arches, doors & boot done under warranty. Wish I had done the research then, but I didn't & have now got a 98 E320 (yes it's out of warranty, my claim was turned down) Last year (Aug) I had both wings, back door & boot done & paid for myself (not by the dealer either)...Am totally fed up with the mail shots I get from local dealer, so wrote the top guy a bit of a stinker, & they re instated the claim without bothering to check if I'd had the work done, DOH!. It wud have cost GBP2900 with them, so am in the middle of haggling with them about what compensation they are going to give me...They've so far offered me a free air-con service worth GBP99!!!! You can see how much they really value my custom can't you......Don't think I am gonna get much more from them, but it's fun winding up the service manager, he's the poor bloke stuck in the middle of me & his management. The top guy hasn't had the nerve to contact me yet, has anyone else gotten anywhere with this type of thing & can give me some advice????

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 (no rust) 2016 volvo xc60 r/design. se. lux. nav.
had 190E from new no rust anywhere. changed 3 years ago for 210 E230, has microblister / rust already in the metal under paint from new well known in germany! tiny spots appear and then wham! marks all over have had bonnet painted and various touch ups as fed up now, lovely drive and will drive into the ground as worthless! close eyes as approach and enjoy the drive! anyone got a new 190E cheap or swop!

rvmeister

New Registration
Reaction score
W208 1999 230 Clk

My W208 1999 CLK 230 is Brilliant Silver in most places apart from above the rear wheel arches. Nearside is just starting to show and offside has bubbling across most of the arch circumference. Obviously I am outside of the 8 year good will warranty by 4 months or so. I have written to Mercedes UK in Milton Keynes and they are offering to make a contribution of 25% to the repair cost of £1000 including VAT.

I know find myself looking out for other W208 CLK's to see if they have a similar problem. Of the two that I have spotted in the last few days they both had signs of bubbling starting, especially on the offside.

hoddy8770

Reaction score
I also have a the c220cdi my wheel arches all 4 are showing signs of rust aswell as the boot,Did mercedes pay for it all or part cheers

three.star

Registered
Reaction score
I have a 33500 mile late 2002/2003 model E240 Avantgarde (UK 52 plate) and it has no rust whatsoever

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The poll would show that the galvanising 2003 and the Nano paint 04-04 is working

staphy

Reaction score
Hello I am new to this forum, and also new to merc - so please bear with me if i appear to know nothing! ;)

I recently replaced my beloved 13yr old Honda Civic Coupe (from my student era!) with a 01 C-Class 230k Coupe AMG Evo 60k miles. Took me ages to find it cos i only want a white one. Was hoping to get a facelift model but decided to go with this after searching for 4mths with no luck (and the Civic was starting to fall apart).

Had the Merc for 2mths now and touch wood everything seems ok, but the rust started to develop at the rear arches. they were already there when i bought the car, but seems like its developing quickly since i brough it back to Cardiff (cos' of the sea salt?). I heard that Mercs have decades of bodywork warranty (50yrs?) and they are willing to repair it free of charge, is that right? if so, please advise if there is anything i need to know/be aware of.

And yes i did vote!

Thanks a lot folks.

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
I've got a 98 C220 diesel with 194,000 on the clock. There's rust on three wheel arches, the bonnet between the grille and the lamps and just starting on the boot release. Otherwise the car is fantastic.

As an aside, my boss's 99 E Class had to have major work done when his windscreen broke in half. Turns out the rust was so bad that it had risen up on the pillar and broke the screen across the "hump". He now drives an Audi.

t15dja

Reaction score
No rust!?

Mine is a 1997 W210 E280 with 49K miles. No rust at all, other than the odd (repaired) minor stone chip.

I've owned it 4 and a half years - it had done 19K when I bought it.

It was also an imported car (from Germany), if that makes any difference.

It could well have survived so long because I'm a big fan of Waxoyl. Did a full job when I got it then do an annual pre-winter coat under the wheel arches.

colechelle

Resigned
Reaction score
C320 2004 no rust at all, that gos next weekend and pick up 55 plate 203 so let you know on that one!!!

darrenb1707

Reaction score
Mine is 2001 W208 CLK 230K with 120k miles

I've got a small bit of rust on the lower rear corner of the drivers door. Also got a few stonechips on the bonnet but that's understandable as I do a lot of motorway miles.

It's going into the bodyshop in the next fortnight! ;)

I wouldn't say the Mercedes is any better or worse for rust than any other car I've owned though.

B

bassbluestew

I have 1998 W210 estate, so far I haven't spotted any rust at all, I haven't gone over it with a fine tooth comb, but there is certainly nothing obvious.

v6 BENS

Reaction score
Rusty CLK

Hi

I have the CLK Cabrio Year 2000 W208, with various rust issues.

Under both rear wings, bonnet near light cluster and around the boot lid button.

I have spoken with a MB dealer who seems to think because the car is imported the warranty is not valid anyway ? I asked him if they used different paint on imports ? to which he laughed.

Anyway the upshot is I will be taking it for an inspection shortly. I will keep you posted.

sussex202

Reaction score
'99 202 estate: rust around handle and number plate on boot lid, plus the familiar patches at the bottom of front wheel arches. I've had the car 6 years and it's been mostly trouble free. The rust is irritating though.

Finally approached MBUK via the local dealer. Rust identified on 3 wheel arches, two door frames and on the tailgate. They offered a 50% contribution..........against a bill of over £2,000! All attempts at reasonable conciliation were blocked by the local dealer. Net result: one further dissatisfied customer; unlikely to retain brand loyalty in the future. When will MBUK learn that promotional marketing is severely dented by disgruntled customers unlikely to recommend their product to others? Their researchers will keep tabs on forums like this - I hope that they listen and learn.

sms78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e320 c.d.i , Vw Beetle 1303
rust

Ive got a w210 2001 e320 c.d.i. avantgarde met silver. Rust starting to bubble up on nearside front wheel arch ,both rear arches , bottom corner of drivers door, bonnet under the grill where stones have bashed it off the motorway ,boot lid where the badge fixes into it and now slight rusting around boot lock , apart from that its mint :roll: o and also the drivers side sill chrome sill trim kick plate thing is bubbling up too :p

rogdogg

Reaction score
I think memories of the rust resistance of the 124 and other older models is also a myth.Certainly the build quality was much better but they still rusted.My 1st merc 260E had rust on front wing when 2.5 yrs old and business partner had holed front wings and extensive rust on rear wings of her 230E at 4-5 years.Also the 124 had problems with seizing door stays,valve stem oil seals and varoius other foibles,though it was a lovely motor.If you don't fancy rust,best buy a Saab or Volvo

A

AGREED

Another rusty CLK

My 2000 W208 CLK 230K with 99k on the clock has started to bubble through on the rear offside wheelarch. I got a refusal via the dealer in Bath, where I have had it serviced since new. So I spoke to customer services in Milton Keynes and got another refusal and an indication that there was a time threshold for goodwill, but she wouldn't say what it was. I suspected it must be around the 8 year point. The boot lid has been resprayed at about 3 yrs and 6 yrs at their expense due to bubbling around the light cover. Looks like it's down to me now! Shame, it certainly blunts the pride of ownership of what is a good car in all other respects.

Top Bottom