What's the best stuff to use on my fake leather

Bennyboy A250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class A250 w176
I believe that the seats in my car are a man made leather? Is it worth treating with a leather cream:confused:
At the moment I'm using uncented baby wipes:(
These work well and keep that Matt look but is there anything else I can use that's maybe better and smell nice.
Cheers
Bren :D

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Autoglym vinyl and rubber care.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Warm soapy water and wipe down. At least that can do no harm.

Crash1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011
Gtechniq C6 looks good on pleather

B19bst

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDi convertible
I have heard really good reports on dodo juice leather cleaner and there protector. I am sure it can be used on faux leather too. Gtech c6 is good too as a sealer. You should get a little leather cleaning brush for any cleaner as you will be surprised the dirt that gets inbetween the texture.

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
These days I have best results with Leatherique, the cleaner is great for plastics too. Its expensive and messy, I only do it every other year or so. Inbetween I just use hot water, looks great.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That will make it shiny though.

Doesn't on mine?

To be fair I've not tried any other products. I only use it because a mate recommended it and it can also be used on all the interior trim, dashboard etc. And as I'm basically lazy this pleases me. :D

I would say don't waste money trying to put leather food or cream onto artico, which is basically plastic.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'd go for a proper Vinyl protector as well. Not sure I'd want to use a soap product as in my view that would dry the oils out of the fabric which is part of the reason vinyls and plastics crack/get brittle.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd go for a proper Vinyl protector as well. Not sure I'd want to use a soap product as in my view that would dry the oils out of the fabric which is part of the reason vinyls and plastics crack/get brittle.

This is not an easy subject at all, lets take things for sale for yinyl, in the same context there are things for cleaning wheels, now many of us know that these cleaners can destroy the wheel finish completely, so back to vinyl, it is a plastic product.

Most grime in a car is human grease, no cleaners that contain any form of spirit will touch human grease, the only thing that does is warm water with a little soap. (never use any form of scented soap on any seats as it can destroy the stitching) so by soap, just a touch.

Vinyl is a plastic product that once cured/set that is it. You can do a Google search on this and most say warm water and non scented soap, it cannot attack the surface in any way as nothing to dissolve the surface.

Yes there are probably 30 products made for cleaning vinyl, but the ones that make this stuff are only after your money. A prime example of what these cleaners can do is say a vinyl dash board, once you use anything other than warm water and a little soap the sun can make driving very hard due to the reflections. My V70R was a prime example of this.

When my SL was out of my hands someone had used something on the dash, after many tries with warm soapy water and a gentle brush I got it back to how it was, and at 14 years old it is like new. Fortunately what ever that was used had not melted the surface as many so called cleaners do.

Mercedes say in their cleaning in the handbooks use warm soapy water, it cannot penetrate the surface at all, or attack it in any way.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
What's wrong with a clean damp cloth?

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
Yep there are definitely some bad vinyl products out there. Lots of bad reports about Armor all dissolving things.

I changed the dashboard on my W126 recently due to cracks, and I wanted some kind of protection for the new one so I went with Aerospace 303 which is meant to be non shiny. It's ****** shiny! Took some off with a damp rag..

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
You can clean up most anything with a damp cloth. It gets it clean and you have no worries about residues.

Some people think that unless you've paid for it it's no good, I have a solution...buy some Evian.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
never use any form of scented soap on any seats.

Now I like scented soap,
As in the bath I frolic.
So if you're going to send me soaaaap,
DON'T send carbolic!

:p

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can clean up most anything with a damp cloth. It gets it clean and you have no worries about residues.

Some people think that unless you've paid for it it's no good, I have a solution...buy some Evian.

So true :D I have said to many use 6% white vinegar for moss and algae on soft roofs and window rubbers, and they have posted back saying all gone and perfect. Use can use it for descaling kettles.

OP
B

Bennyboy A250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class A250 w176
These are my seats, bit reluctant to try anything that's a cream or a paste, so took the advice to us a damp cloth and was amazed how much muck came of them.
Then I gave them a wipe down with some Dr Leather and now I've got a proper leathery smell to my car now

And then the mothering law did this with her walking stick.

Don't want to cover them up but think I may get a cover now for when I take the in laws out.
Cheers
Bren

OP
B

Bennyboy A250

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class A250 w176
And this is the drivers seat, brought this up a treat

Thank you all for all the advice and tips very much appreciated cheers.
Thank you
Bren

Crash1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011
Dr leather is awesome stuff, if you want a really nice long lasting leather smell try the Gliptone air freshener. Smells like real leather and lasts months :)

NC35

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 3.0tDi Estate MY14
Bit late now, but steam cleaning is amazing on leathers and man made leatherette.
Just gently with a hand held steamer and a microfiber cloth.
Only had the car 23hrs and I have just done my real leather seats and vinyl dash. To my amazement the lovely leather smell has returned too.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom