Wheel Refurb

Cleggmeister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 W210 E55 AMG
Apparently there's a place near Machargs, off the Clydeside Expressway, that do a nice refurb. Mine will be in soon.

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 E320cdi/ Sclass 2012 350cdi
I too have been looking at diamond cut refurb on my alloys.But the two companies I have contacted both give the same advice that we read on this forum that the diamond cut doesnt last & they advise to have them finnished in a bright silver/chrome paint finnish. They quote £220 for the refurb of the 4 wheels.
I also looked at some new Merc replica wheels £370 fully fitted.This seems a very tempting alternative,plus the car would not be off the road for 4 days for the refurb job.I have read on the forum to stick to Merc original wheels. Is there any particulare reason for this,are the replica wheels a problem in any way or do they not last so well as the originals.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I too have been looking at diamond cut refurb on my alloys.But the two companies I have contacted both give the same advice that we read on this forum that the diamond cut doesnt last & they advise to have them finnished in a bright silver/chrome paint finnish. They quote £220 for the refurb of the 4 wheels.
I also looked at some new Merc replica wheels £370 fully fitted.This seems a very tempting alternative,plus the car would not be off the road for 4 days for the refurb job.I have read on the forum to stick to Merc original wheels. Is there any particulare reason for this,are the replica wheels a problem in any way or do they not last so well as the originals.

The main thing with MB wheels is that they are Hub centric,if you use non centric wheels you will never balance them. the other thing is the ET. important to ESP
I would do a web search on re furb some firms offer many more finishes than others.

Malcolm

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 E320cdi/ Sclass 2012 350cdi
Malcolm.
I do like the finnish on the diamond cut but as you & the refurb companies say it doesnt last,the silver chrome paints that I beleive you have on your Volvo look OK.
The Merc replica wheels, would these be Hub centric.

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
It lasts provided the lacquer isn't chipped - all refurb companies exonnerate themselves by only offering a 6 month guarantee. If you look after your car then you won't have a problem - however if you jet or garage car wash regularly you may have a problem.

mouldb

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm,
Can you tell me a little more about hub centric wheels & reason for the offset / esp problems that may occur.

Ta,

Bruce

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It lasts provided the lacquer isn't chipped - all refurb companies exonnerate themselves by only offering a 6 month guarantee. If you look after your car then you won't have a problem - however if you jet or garage car wash regularly you may have a problem.

Not our night tonight stats, clear lacquer is very weak having no pigment, many of the MB wheels even after re furb can start going around the sharp edges of the bolt holes and jig alignment holes, mine did and they never ever got wet.

Not much different to brass handles on a front door,they are all oven baked on a polished surface, nothing to key to, just the same as our wheels on a diamond cut surface, on a rougher turned surface it would last longer. You cant put clear lacquer on thicker as it will craze and self distruct.

I looked at the wheels in halfords the finishes available this year are much better than last year.
With most diamond cut wheels they can only be re done once as the rim can become too thin

The 600 wheels on my car are holding up,but they are no age yet.

Malcolm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm,
Can you tell me a little more about hub centric wheels & reason for the offset / esp problems that may occur.

Ta,

Bruce

On the hubs of our cars there is a flange that the wheel locates on, and they are not centered by the bolts, the MB bolts just hold the wheel on.

Re the ET this is the off set of the wheels,this is the how far in or out from the center of the axis they are
Your ESP needs to know info from the wheels to operate the BAS getting the car back inline. each car is programed if you put on wider or narrower wheels ,all of these calculations become wrong and they could have the opposite effect.

Malcolm

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
I've had refurbed diamond polished wheels for the last two years and they are fine. Like I said if the job is done properly and you look after them you won't have a problem - this also extends to the design of the wheels - sharp edges are always going to be a problem area; as you say there is very little keying available for the lacquer, so it is a delicate finish. I regularly remove my wheels to clean and wax them as well.

cheshirecat

Reaction score
www.lap-tab.co.uk. Got my 16" wheels booked in for 12/03/07. Delivering the car in at 8 am collect at 5 pm. They will remove the wheels, tyres, refurb, powder coat, refit tyres, balance and put back on the car for £211.50 all inclusive. Will post some before and after pics next week.

Mercv8

Reaction score
I actually only have 1 alloy wheel which i would like to have refurbed as there is a slight curbing on it.

Looks like abit of the lacquer has come off it. Would they be able to repair the slight edge damage or would they have to do the whole alloy?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I actually only have 1 alloy wheel which i would like to have refurbed as there is a slight curbing on it.

Looks like abit of the lacquer has come off it. Would they be able to repair the slight edge damage or would they have to do the whole alloy?

I think that you will find that they must do the whole wheel.

if there is no corrosion under the edges of the lacquer you can T cut it and apply clear lacquer, if it is white looking around the edges of the hole you can wet and dry,then polish,the clear coat, it look OK but not perfect.

Malcolm

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom