Wheel sizes

mikedjay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now E350 CDI Estate (E320 CDI Estate, she did well!)
Good afternoon
I wonder what the thinking behind putting different size wheels/tyres front to back?
I am looking at a E350 BlueTEC AMG Night Ed Premium, which has this.
I would prefer to have both sets the same dimensions, would this cause any issues? I would think that the smaller width dimension would be the choice for all 4 corners as I doubt that there is the clearance in the front for the wider.
Has anyone done this?
All comments gladly accepted.
Thanks for your time.
M

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
You are referring to the same wheel size aren't you?

Iirc, winter tyres can be the same size, so....
Do you have the handbook for your car as it will make the official recommendations in there.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have a 212 E350CDI with the standard 18" larger rear tyres on the rear.
I have a set of winter 17' wheels which are the same size all arround.
The wife's SLC has the same set up.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I suspect OP is simply asking about the width of tyres and not having the wider tyres on the rear. This is a pretty standard figment many Mercedes cars, especially the “Sprt” models in various designations. I always assumed it was because they are rear wheel drive cars and the wider tyres better suit the driving wheels.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Offset rim widths are usually an optional extra that is included with certain style packages. As long as all wheels have the same diameter then having the same rim width is not an issue.
Winter wheel setup specified by MB will be for the same wheel dimensions all round. Typically this is the same maximum standard width specified for the front wheels.
If you select an wheel rim that has an offset that fits the front then it should fit the back as well.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I wonder what the thinking behind putting different size wheels/tyres front to back?
I am looking at a E350 BlueTEC AMG Night Ed Premium, which has this.

It looks sportier

I would prefer to have both sets the same dimensions, would this cause any issues? I would think that the smaller width dimension would be the choice for all 4 corners as I doubt that there is the clearance in the front for the wider.

Easy to do, you just need to get a pair of front wheels and put them on the rear.

The snag is they will sit well in the arches

Last edited:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom