When should timing chains be changed?

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ageing W202 C200 with rust
I bought this month's Practical Classics partly because it had a feature on the Mercedes-Benz W123. For engines it said oil should be changed every 4000 miles and timing chains every 60,000 miles, or they could snap and wreck the engine. My W202 C200 has done more than double this mileage. I change the oil at 4000 miles out of choice and the engine is smooth, sweet and has never been touched except for a few ancillaries. Should I be worried about my timing chains? The car isn't worth much now and I'm trying to run it on a budget; I suspect fitting new chains myself might be a bit beyond me and dread to think the cost a garage might charge. Mercs do clock up high miles, so what is the likelyhood of my timing chains letting go?

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Don't worry be happy :D
There are specific models/ engines/ etc where timing chains pose a threat.
Yours is not!!!! Always be cautious of hunting on start up as this can be the early signs of chain or sprocket teeth wear. Other than that just enjoy your car. You have a very good engine there

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
our e class has done 287000 miles and i am not sure if ours has ever been changed:shock:..all sounds sweet and all fingers are crossed ...:lol:

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Hmm a misprint maybe? Timing chains don't usually pose a problem, unlike timing belts.

The ancillary belt (that big rubber band on the front of the engine) has a service life of around 60,000 miles, but it only drives the ancillaries and the water pump so no major damage done if it does go (as long as you don't drive it).

I believe that MB use duplex chains that are not susceptable to stretching, unlike a few that use simplex chains. The most likely failure is the chain tensioner, but that is still rare.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Timing chains are unlikely to snap but they can ''stretch'' and cause the timing to be ''out''.
I think they are best left well alone until the symptoms of a stretched chain manifest themselves.
My C140 was lumpy on idle and the cause was found to be a stretched timing chain.......new chain and it now just purrs.
The cost of having the chain changed at Star Motors was not at all unreasonable so you should not worry about the cost either.

Mic

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Practical Classics is full of bullsh*t. With the number of mistakes, errors and typos over the years getting higher it amazes me that people still buy it

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Its actually quite a relevant comment if they are referring to the early M102 ENGINE which had a single row timing chain which " could" wear out at 60-80,000 miles particularly if neglected in the oil change department . The early 190s suffered from this also ---same engine- later cured with a duplex chain and redesigned tensioner from about 1989 on. Your W202 has the later twin cam M111 engine which is pretty bullet proof.

Last edited:

DB autos

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sls in my dreams
Hi your are correct the early single chains where very common for faults we done hundreds on warnty the duplex chain don't have a problom there was not atime when to change only when reported or noisy if not rattling from cold leve it

OP
rx6180

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ageing W202 C200 with rust
Well that's a fantastic response and I feel well reassured. I didn't really want to start messing with my timing chains and being told the duplex ones are pretty much bullet proof is what I wanted to hear! As for buying Practical Classics...well, I used to buy it often in the early 2000s when I was getting back into classic cars after a lull of several years, following an unfortunate experience in my youth with a Jaguar 2.4. Then I went off PC, and bought other mags if I wanted something to read, but they are only to pass the time during tea breaks. I've bought one or two Practical Classics in recent months as I think it has improved, but I wouldn't like to swear to the accuracy of its information. But then I think it no worse than any of the other 'general' classic cars magazines. If it were a Mercedes-specific mag, then I'd expect it to be accurate about the subjects it featured.

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Hmm a misprint maybe? Timing chains don't usually pose a problem, unlike timing belts.

The ancillary belt (that big rubber band on the front of the engine) has a service life of around 60,000 miles, but it only drives the ancillaries and the water pump so no major damage done if it does go (as long as you don't drive it).

I believe that MB use duplex chains that are not susceptable to stretching, unlike a few that use simplex chains. The most likely failure is the chain tensioner, but that is still rare.

The 271 engine which has been in production for much of the last ten years does not have a duplex chain and suffers from chain streching and jumping issues. Many mb models throughout the years have suffered from chains stretching and jumping teeth. 116/ 117 engines were notorious for jumping

Where was the misprint???

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Mics car and mine have both the same mileage and age within 6 days, his chain failed and mine is still perfect, so maybe the question should be how often do you need to cut your hair, the answer being "when it needs it"

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
Mics car and mine have both the same mileage and age within 6 days, his chain failed and mine is still perfect, so maybe the question should be how often do you need to cut your hair, the answer being "when it needs it"

:lol: Thats where i went wrong...Before the GTG Kat said i looked like a tramp and HAD to get my hair cut before i went:Oops::lol:

So.... what engine is in our 211 then?..is it the 271? sounds PERFECT but no idea if its been changed ..is this something else i should worry myself over or wait for "when it needs it" :D

I guess with it being a chain i would hear slight warnings before anything bad happened?:shock:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
:lol: Thats where i went wrong...Before the GTG Kat said i looked like a tramp and HAD to get my hair cut before i went:Oops::lol:

So.... what engine is in our 211 then?..is it the 271? sounds PERFECT but no idea if its been changed ..is this something else i should worry myself over or wait for "when it needs it" :D

I guess with it being a chain i would hear slight warnings before anything bad happened?:shock:

Nope you do not have a 271, its a good lump in yours

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Did mercedes not learn from their problems with single chains and worn gears? We are seeing a few V6cdi's with noisey chains now. :(

busters the boy!

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230e
Its actually quite a relevant comment if they are referring to the early M102 ENGINE which had a single row timing chain which " could" wear out at 60-80,000 miles particularly if neglected in the oil change department . The early 190s suffered from this also ---same engine- later cured with a duplex chain and redesigned tensioner from about 1989 on.

Does that only apply to 190's with an M102, or any M102? My 230e is a 1989.

Can you tell what kind of chain you have from the VIN no.?

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
Did mercedes not learn from their problems with single chains and worn gears? We are seeing a few V6cdi's with noisey chains now. :(

I think you'll probably find that they did learn......that a single chain provides plenty of income in replacement parts over the years. Why build it bullet proof if you can make a bob or 2!

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think you'll probably find that they did learn......that a single chain provides plenty of income in replacement parts over the years. Why build it bullet proof if you can make a bob or 2!

Dave

Especially as they new that the bodies would all drop off long before the engine was worn out

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Does that only apply to 190's with an M102, or any M102? My 230e is a 1989.

Can you tell what kind of chain you have from the VIN no.?

Applies to any early M102 engine. Changeover occurred around 1989. Best way to check is remove the oil filler cap on the cam cover and " feel" the timing chain at the front- your finger tips will tell you if its a single or duplex chain engine. [ ENGINE OFF OF COURSE!!] I believe they can be converted to duplex at a cost but most people just renew the single chain.

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom