Where’s my oil going!!

Sm86

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG (2005)
Hi guys,

Still a newbie here and to new to AMG’s too! Need a bit of help please...

I have a 2005 (55) CLS55 AMG. It’s covered just shy of 110k miles with full service history. Serviced pretty much every 10k miles since new.

After purchasing the car, I serviced it (around 1700 miles ago). I had the oil, oil filter, air filters and pollen filter replaced.

I used a genuine Mercedes oil filter and got my oil from Opie Oils (Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 Ester Fully Synthetic Engine Oil).

I was on the motorway a few days ago and a message came up on the dash asking for 1L of oil when refuelling next. I stopped shortly after and put in a litre of the same oil. I then drove around 150 miles and got home.

The next day, I’m on the motorway again (approximately 200 miles since putting in the litre of oil previously) and i get the same message come up. Again, i stopped and topped up a litre of the same oil.

I was worried that the car has taken 2 litres of oil in 1700 miles. My last car was a B7 RS4 and that would take a litre every 4,000 miles or so but apparently that’s normal. This seems like quite a bit in 1700 miles?

I noticed some fresh oil on the driveway too. Unfortunately there have been several cars in the same spot on the drive over the weekend so I can’t say with 100% certainty it’s from mine. So i got the car up on the ramp today and had the mechanic remove the undertray. Not a drop of oil to be seen anywhere...

The car is driving perfectly.

Any ideas? Anyone experienced similar in the past?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Mercedes will say the AMG engines may use up to 1 litre per 1000 miles if I remember correctly , mine is about a litre every 3-4K , yours does seem a bit much.
Can’t remember if yours has a dip stick?
I was wondering if it started with the correct amount , hence the message came up twice

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I don't think the M113K does have a dipstick but do remember that they tell lies.

When I had my W211 it often asked for a litre of oil, a couple of hundred miles later it asked to have some removed. I learnt that when it asked for more to only give it half of what it asked for.

Hopefully yours will settle down but, if not, it may be worth getting the sensor checked out.

OP
S

Sm86

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG (2005)
Thanks for the replies chaps.

It doesn’t have a dipstick. Any other engines compatible with this? Might be worth getting one to be on the safe side.. dont trust computers.. prefer the old school dipstick

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I had a couple of C240s that went through a spate of using oil (about the same amount as you). I seem to recall with them it was blocked breather on the top of the engine allowing build up.of pressure in the crankcase and pushing oil into the bores at sustained cruise RPMs.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
You can buy a dipstick for the 113k cars. I would do that to confirm if the oil is going somewhere.

If it is, check the cam covers gaskets and breather tanks. Although that is still quite a lot for it to be leaking there.

They can use 1+L per 1000 miles but normally only when very hard driving (track stuff etc)

OP
S

Sm86

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG (2005)
Part number or ebay link to the dipstick?

To be honest, i’d say 95% of the 1700 miles done has been at 70-80mph cruise control.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
VAG group used to have a 1ltr bottle of oil in the boot as standard issue iirc
Top up was 1000 km or miles from new.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
my S320 derv gave me the same message about a month ago , I checked the oil the next day and it was bang on so you cannot totally trust what the display tells you pal , getting a proper dipstick is a great idea though ;)

OP
S

Sm86

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG (2005)
Thanks for all the replies... will get a dipstick and then monitor from there..

Alexanderfoti (or anyone else) - any links for a dipstick in the UK? Searched the part number on google but no luck. This one will take up to 10 working days to arrive! Nothing on amazon prime unfortunately!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My post has a link to an ebay uk listing for the dipstick.

OP
S

Sm86

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG (2005)
My post has a link to an ebay uk listing for the dipstick.

It’s in Poland according to the ad..

This one says UK, but seller’s location is Hong Kong.

They always end up late or missing.. might just order the one from Poland as their email replies seem quick so hopefully they’ll dispatch it quicker too.

Can find a UK one anywhere unfortunately.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Mine arrived in 3 days from the above seller.

OP
S

Sm86

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG (2005)
:) brilliant! Will order now.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It’s in Poland according to the ad..

This one says UK, but seller’s location is Hong Kong.

They always end up late or missing.. might just order the one from Poland as their email replies seem quick so hopefully they’ll dispatch it quicker too.

Can find a UK one anywhere unfortunately.

Lots of Ebayers do that, they drop ship from a fulfilment warehouse in the UK. I order loads from these types of sellers, if its says UK always arrives in 2-3 days via RM.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom