Where is the indicators Ticker - 300sl 92'

OP
N

northcave

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300sl/1992/3l
Right i got it out and all looks fine and dandy. so if the circuit is fine whats the next step? We have a plan B right?

Tim

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Right i got it out and all looks fine and dandy. so if the circuit is fine whats the next step? We have a plan B right?

Tim

If you are sure that there are no dry joints, needs a magnifying glass you can put back.

Turn ign on and the wipers or flashers, move,push or pull the relay to see if anything stop, you cn also tap lightly on top of the relay,if they stop or start with movement then the socket will need the contacts closing a touch

If no joy than the fault will be the ignition switch contact, this happenrd on my 1999 SL

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
I thought the ignition contact problem only affected MY '99 onwards cars?

OP
N

northcave

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300sl/1992/3l
Sorry explain dry joints? Where the solder has gone or broken away?

stats007

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking
The solder joints can appear perfectly normal but have dried internally and no longer conduct - quite common on PCBs that get warm.

OP
N

northcave

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300sl/1992/3l
so is there any way i can tell or is it impossible to see joints which have dried internally?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry explain dry joints? Where the solder has gone or broken away?

these thing from new are flow or wave soldered on a machine, this machine has no feelings as to what needs a little more solder.

A dry joint is where the wire from the component passes through the PCB and the solder has eroded away leave the wire not connectec to the PCB copper track, another indication is a black ring around the wire.

By moving slightly with you finger the suspect component and with your finger on the underside you can feel the wire move.

I do hundreds of dry joints every week and you get to know what they look like.

You can always re solder everthing using a cored flux solder, thats what I do when they cant be seen with the eye, and I use ther industrial magnifyers..

A good soldered joint is bright anf shiny

OP
N

northcave

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300sl/1992/3l
hmm i see.

One thing i noticed is that my wipers tend to stop working under lower revs. Could this be a dry joint working under better current as the alternator kicks out more?

Apart from that i can only go on what i see and it looks ok, but as you say i could easily miss something having not got any experience.

Tim

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hmm i see.

One thing i noticed is that my wipers tend to stop working under lower revs. Could this be a dry joint working under better current as the alternator kicks out more?

Apart from that i can only go on what i see and it looks ok, but as you say i could easily miss something having not got any experience.

Tim

Thats hard to answer exactly, when the ign switches start to go the effect is often no indicators -wipers for first 10 mins, then OK, but sometimes hardly ever

Pin 30 is the 12 volt into the relay, but trying to measure off load is pointless, so putting a meter there is not worth while, and with the relay in you cant get to the pins

MB use a dummy break out socket

OP
N

northcave

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300sl/1992/3l
Well the indicators are almost always dodgy apart from on full speed. Indicators have only gone off once for a day and then kind of sorted them selves. I'm going to check the relay and give it a wobble.

I'll let you know how i get on and so much thanks for the advice!!!! Top bloke!

Tim

OP
N

northcave

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300sl/1992/3l
Right then. I've put it back in and the same issues occur. Indicators are fine for the time being. Here is basically what happends.

Turn on ignition so all warning lights appear as usual. If you then try and use the indicators without the engine running every time the indicator flashes the warning lights flash and needles go up and down. Once the engine is started everything is fine but it occaisionally goes wierd when the indicators or used with needles and ligths flashing for a second. Also the intermitent wipers are always dodgy with full speed wipers always fine.

thoughts?

tim

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom