Window tints - retrofit factory glass?

CitizenKane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C250 CDI
Hello

Does anyone know if it’s possible to retrofit factory tinted/privacy glass to our cars (W204 in my case)? I’ve gotten aftermarket tint film on a few cars including my current one and I always find it looks terrible, because of the gap it leaves around the edge of the “dot matrix” on the rear quarters and rear window. I know some aftermarket tints are better than others but I’ve never seen any that can actually avoid this dot matrix issue.

The only alternative solution I can think of would be to try to get factory tinted / privacy glass retrofitted (the same glass that would’ve come on the car had privacy glass been fitted as a factory option), but I don’t know if anyone would do this (main dealer or otherwise) and if it would still be possible to acquire such glass for a W204.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
My initial thought is to wonder how much this would cost versus the current value of the far?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
I'd say it'd depend on who's fitting it. If you're dong it yourself, then it'd be fairly affordable but ..... if you're paying a garage a little less affordable.
If paying a dealer ... forget it! ;)

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Completely possible but oh so expensive to even purchase the glass, it may be possible to get it from a scrapyard if your lucky though, but even then it won’t be cheap

Trev1964

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 cdi estate 2013
I think you have 2 choices.
Aftermarket with a quality fitter and get a top job. Living with the issue you've mentioned.
Or, don't bother.

Cost of putting factory tints in there is gonna be big, bigger, or massive, depending on how you go about it.

OP
C

CitizenKane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C250 CDI
Thanks for the responses. I’m not worried about the cost, within reason, but my bigger concern is whether this glass is still available. I’ve had a look on eBay and can see some factory tinted glass for the coupe, but can’t find much for the saloon. Now that I think of it, was privacy glass even an option for the W204? I’m not sure I’ve ever actually seen one with it, at least a non-C63.

w204benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C200CDI AMG Sport
Now that I think of it, was privacy glass even an option for the W204? I’m not sure I’ve ever actually seen one with it, at least a non-C63.

Mine has it, so it must have been an option. But perhaps it wasn't available on all trim levels?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom