X H or straight pipes on w212 E63 amg?

Gumball

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63/2014/w212
Hi

Looking to make my 2014 E63 a little bit louder and a little bit more aggressive. Don't want to decat the car as it's too loud IMHO.

Couple of people say X pipe in the centre section. Some say H for a deeper growl.

I called a guy in Glasgow this week and he said due to the banks both sides run as separate systems and u need straight pipes in the centre but resonator delete.

Looking for advice on this please?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Most of the options you mention are likely to make it louder but i think you might also lose 'that AMG' sound which would be a pity. Another option would be to strip out the back boxes a bit and fit a larger bore pipe to each.
I did that on my SL and it certainly made it louder but I'm enjoying the genuine AMG sound of my 212...if it was me I'd leave it alone personally..

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Resonator removal and replace with an H pipe.

First mod I did on mine and it makes a massive difference. Loud but not "in your face" if you know what I mean? The resonator box is indeed two separate pipes but there's a (very) small H pipe concealed inside it.

I was told that the H pipe is more suited to these engines than an X pipe as it scavenges better. I actually still have mine fitted though most of the rest of the system's changed nowadays...

OP
G

Gumball

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63/2014/w212
Guys thanks for the replies and opinions. Appreciated.

Good point re the noise changing and becoming in AMG like. I'd like to avoid that and keep the sound.

I did hear that the H gives a deep growl where as the X becomes higher and raspier.

Can you explain to me the scavenging thing and what you think will reduce back pressure, which I believe is a good thing?

Thanks
Chris

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Chris, you have to hear Daveenty's to believe it :D
If you want power and sound he'll advise you well!

OP
G

Gumball

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63/2014/w212
Cheers John, I just spent the last 15 mins looking on YouTube at resonator delete. Honestly the straight pipes all sounded superb. Without being weird or non AMG like.

Be interested to hear Daveentys system for sure !

Power, I think I'm running around 700 which is already taking some getting used to, so that's likely enough. For now

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
All relative Chris I guess - my SL 500 N/A was c400 hp so my upgrade to 557 feels nice enough now but in 12 months who knows!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom