Xenon Headlamp Bulb

chooper

Reaction score
HI

I have a bulb problem on my CLS AMG 55 - the passenger main beam headlamp bulb has gone. MB have checked and it is the bulb not the control unit but they are quoting £239 to change the bulb inc £86 for the bulb. How do you change it? and is there any way of removing the shock threat? - Maybe remove a fuse or disconnect the battery? If this is a DIY job how do you get to the bulb?
Many thanks
Chooper

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Not sure on exact method on your vehicle on lamp replacement, but needless to say some MB's need the bumper to be removed to gain access to it.
I have been a bit concerned over the price of the Xenon light parts, and I have located some E-bay for my W202 £19.99 a pair!!! bit cheaper than MB as they wanted over £100 each!
I have removed mine and I just ensure the headlights have been switched off for 5-10 minutes, long enough for any capacitive load to have discharged, and ensure that the key is in your pocket, so the lights can,t be put on inadvertantly.

OP
C

chooper

Reaction score
Thanks for this, Will have a look to see how to gain access. So if they have been switched off for over 10-15 mins there is no shock threat?

Many thanks again
Chooper

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They just unplug like normal lamps,,you just have to remove the rear cover, there is no risk of shock when they are turned off, what ever you do, do not turn the lamps on with the bulb removed

OP
C

chooper

Reaction score
Thanks Malcolm - I appreciate this
Chooper

Alps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E63s S213, SOLD - 2013 Weistec E63 AMG, SOLD - 2004 E55 (x2)
as per Malcolms instruction, MB love scaring ppl so they can charge you a bomb for a 10 min job. most MB D2S xenon bulbs are OSRAM, check the one in yours and buy a replacement off the net, personally id change the pair.

OP
C

chooper

Reaction score
Just to clarify its the dip beam not main bulb - does this make any difference? Many thanks Chooper

Top Bottom