You buy a car work at it till it's the way you want it then get bored

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Very similar to us.
5 cars and 4 of them from MBs stable.
500SL is without doubt my favourite. It just feels special in a way the no others do. Ample effortless power, smooth, refined and with a punch and glorious roar when provoked.
The SL500 is an emotional car - it won't ever be sold that I can see.
The E240 is a work horse. Superb car and very comfortable and capable but having used it as a daily driver all winter I'm getting bored of it. When the boredom gets too great I take the SL500 out for a day.
Smart Roadster. Noisy, small, impractical but immense fun. Last time we were in France I went to take it for a quick spin round the block and ended up doing 30 miles! I'm looking forward to swapping it over with the E240 end of the month.
Mini Cooper S is the other halfs car. It's fun to drive but a shade hard riding. Very economical though and goes very well.

Like Brizzle I had a land rover (several in fact). The Defender was bought as a toy and like his the chassis was rusted through. Like him it had a galvanised chassis fitted, rebuilt transfer box and the interior was revamped with a centre console containing a bank of carling switches for additional lights, interior lights etc, the rear was kitted out as a full length platform sleeping area with storage underneath, dual batteries, massive 270 degree enclosed awning, gas cooker at the rear etc, 9500lb winch, rock and body sliders, lifted suspension with air adjustment in the rear (for levelling the sleeping platform). You could cross the Sahara in it if desired.
I used it for camping twice (and it all worked perfectly). Moved house and it sat unused for 6 months and I took the decision to sell it. Do miss it now and was sorry to see it go.

Aha, a closet camper!! Come into the 21st century and get a caravan, you know you want to deep down!!! :D:D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Aha, a closet camper!! Come into the 21st century and get a caravan, you know you want to deep down!!! :D:D
Hahaha - nice try Keith.....Its the Defender I miss not the camping! To be honest its probably more the memories of the green laning days out that I miss rather than the vehicle or the camping.
This kind of thing:
DSC_8560.jpg
And getting there:

DSC_8525.jpg DSC_8576.jpg

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Hahaha - nice try Keith.....Its the Defender I miss not the camping! To be honest its probably more the memories of the green laning days out that I miss rather than the vehicle or the camping.
This kind of thing:
View attachment 41881
And getting there:

View attachment 41882 View attachment 41883

But Alastair, at a point in life it comes to us that we are no longer indestructible and invincible as we once were and we must up anchor on our halcyon days. My passion for many years was extreme kayaking, having done first descents on some of the classics in the Alps, and eventually the Colorado through the Grand Canyon, tear arsing around in hot hatches on great mountain tracks; extreme skiing all over the world. Partly due in my case to a turned vertebrae after bridge jumping in a kayak many years ago, and a torn medial ligament in one knee from off piste, slalom racing and heli skiing in Canada in my invincible days :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Then comes family and middle age and commitments that make you realise home comforts are paramount as you continue to explore this wonderful country and near neighbouring ones by vehicle with your luxury apartment on wheels behind you :D:D

Also answers why the common bond of a MB holds such sway :D:D

Pretty deep hey :geek::geek:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Then comes family and middle age and commitments that make you realise home comforts are paramount as you continue to explore this wonderful country and near neighbouring ones by vehicle with your luxury apartment on wheels behind you :D:D
I prefer touring in my luxury wheels looking forward to the luxury apartment at our destination ;)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
But Alastair, at a point in life it comes to us that we are no longer indestructible and invincible as we once were and we must up anchor on our halcyon days. My passion for many years was extreme kayaking, having done first descents on some of the classics in the Alps, and eventually the Colorado through the Grand Canyon, tear arsing around in hot hatches on great mountain tracks; extreme skiing all over the world. Partly due in my case to a turned vertebrae after bridge jumping in a kayak many years ago, and a torn medial ligament in one knee from off piste, slalom racing and heli skiing in Canada in my invincible days :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also answers why the common bond of a MB holds such sway :D:D

Pretty deep hey :geek::geek:

.......MTFU ;)

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
My idea of roughing it is to open the bedroom windows at the Four Seasons.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I'e had my C280 v6 202 for very nearly 10 years. It's as good if not better than when I bought it in May 2008. I never thought I'd think of changing it but of late I've become just a little bored and quite fancy a late Jag S type. Very little wrong with the 202 and it drives superbly and has very little rust. I fully expect it to pass the mot next month with little or no hassle. Still makes me feel special when I drive it too and I believe good 202's are becoming sought after. BUT I still fancy a change. Am I mad ???

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I'e had my C280 v6 202 for very nearly 10 years. It's as good if not better than when I bought it in May 2008. I never thought I'd think of changing it but of late I've become just a little bored and quite fancy a late Jag S type. Very little wrong with the 202 and it drives superbly and has very little rust. I fully expect it to pass the mot next month with little or no hassle. Still makes me feel special when I drive it too and I believe good 202's are becoming sought after. BUT I still fancy a change. Am I mad ???
It's just the circle of life buddy , that's why the phrase "the grass is greener" was invented :p

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Thanks Wighty. Guess you're right. One thing that stops me is the fact I'd be gutted to lose a fantastic 202 and get lumbered with a bad Jag. Oh well I guess we'll see........

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks Wighty. Guess you're right. One thing that stops me is the fact I'd be gutted to lose a fantastic 202 and get lumbered with a bad Jag. Oh well I guess we'll see........
Keep your car until it starts to become a problem , then it will be less of a shock when you swap it for a bad Jag :D

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Nearly every single MB I have had in the last 10 years has been like this (all 10? of them).

E55 - Exhaust, AC conderser, all shock absorbers, full rust proofing, then chopped it in for the CL55, and the dealer left it to rot in a car park for 2 years.
C270 CDI - Engine mounts, gearbox mounts, all leak off pipes, gearbox service - remap,then sold after 6 months
SL500 R230 - Engine mounts, Crank sensor, gearbox service, roof seals, PSE pump, rear arch rust repair, ABC flush, sold for 1K less than I paid for it 6 months earlier.
C220 CDI - Remapped to the eyeballs, New HP pump, leak off pipes, fuel pipes, full service, fast for a little c class, circa 230bhp. Sold for the same I paid for it 6 months prior.

The list goes on and on.

My current S class is testing my patience though, and I have already spend enough on it that its not going anywhere for 5 years, unless something catastrophic happens to it, I am in for the long haul.

The only thing the C class has needed is a minor service. I plan to spray the underside with Dynax ub at some point soon as the salt has been horrendous this year.

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
Yep, was a serial offender of doing cars up til I was happy then flipping them on, but this current W202 I have, the C250TD, it's got under my skin and I think this is probably the car I'll always hold on to. She just drives so well, goes well, reliable except when it's beyond her fault, and dual personality...I can throw her around or cruise at 60 on the M25.

As for what I have done to mine...my thread in members car discussion says it all...

Now i'm off the clean the headlamp trims and sand them down...maybe another reason why I still have my W202...She's where I want her to be mechanically but there's still things that need doing so I'm happy with her completely.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The work is never ending on an older car you use there is always something coming up needing work on a Mercedes, their reputation was built on maintenance.
There are more reliable brands, I have little doubt I will need to replace suspension parts all over again on my car.

Top Bottom