Inlet port shut off motor delete (CDI2)

tmason2002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270
I've removed the resistor and connected the motor back up and its still the same...

OP
Alex Crow

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
There should not be any inlet vacuum on this diesel!
I suggest you have made a mistake somewhere - perhaps a rag got drawn into the air intake or some such.

tmason2002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270
I would have thought all engines would generate vacuum on the inlet until the turbo takes over and pressurises the lines? Found the fault this morning. I must have knocked a small vacuum line that supplies both solenoids for the turbo and EGR. Popped the pipe back into its rubber Union and bingo banjo full boost. Very relieved as I didn't want to take then whole lot out again.

OP
Alex Crow

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well done.

Some diesels do have throttles, so can generate some vacuum, but those without should hardly generate any at all - the turbo will still make some boost, even at low speeds/outputs.

TOSHA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI ELEGANCE AUTO 2001 2148
P1189 CODE

I'm still trying to sort out a nuisance limp mode problem, unpredictable. Code P1189 mentions inlet port shut off.... as a matter of interest can this be at least viewed without stripping manifold out? E220 Cdi year 2001 2148 4 cyl

TOSHA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI ELEGANCE AUTO 2001 2148
P1189 code

Reading this thread appears to point me towards the answer to my limp mode problem. Goes into Limp unpredictably and intermittently. E220 Cdi 2148 4 cyl year 2001. Question...can the inlet port shut state/condition off be viewable without stripping the manifold out?

honalulu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 year 2000
E220 limp mode inlet valve

My car keeps going into limp home mode. I had the feeling it has something to do with this flap on the manifold. I have now removed the manifold and I have plugged in the lead into the motor; it makes a noise but only moves a fraction but I can move the flaps by hand. Besides, when I turn the key on to check the motor, the fan starts to turn a little. As the flaps are fully open with no power, could I not just disconnect the plug and put your resistor idea across the plug?

Blue Marlin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 250 CDI 2012
I am in the process of doing this modification to my 270 cdi engine, Thanks Ales Crow for the instructions. My whole intake system needs a very good clean as these photos show:

[IN. MAN. INLET]
CKl3fRD.jpg

bwQDKYc.jpg

The swirl flap pivots have also been leaking, coating the engine block with an oily mess:

With this job I am going to carry out EGR delete to try and keep the intake cleaner in the future, but I have one QUESTION :

The exhaust gas recirculates via an alloy duct/tube bolted to the rear of the cylinder head as shown here :

Would there be any benefit in using a blanking plate instead of a gasket at the joint to the cylinder head to STOP the passage of exhaust gas into this tube ??

I will appreciate any advice from the experts here, Paul

OP
Alex Crow

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would there be any benefit in using a blanking plate instead of a gasket at the joint to the cylinder head to STOP the passage of exhaust gas into this tube ??

I will appreciate any advice from the experts here, Paul

Not so much on your engine - the EGR valve usually seals shut without too much trouble, especially so once it is out of use and can remain shut.
If you do have the part off though, making a blanking plate might be a good idea, but try to keep it as thin as the gasket - the manifold goes over it and might break or not seal if the plate is too thick...

Blue Marlin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 250 CDI 2012
Thank you Alex,

I understand your reference to thickness, a "step" in the plastic manifold does go over this alloy unit. My thought was to just stop exhaust gas entering this area.

Do you know what the small tank type part containing coolant does ?

OP
Alex Crow

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On the OM613 engine I would recommend using a blanking gasket in exactly that place - the EGR valves on these are prone to jamming open it seems (Hi Toby).

The EGR ducting is used to cool the EGR gas and warm coolant for faster and better screen demisting, and also for the fuel warmer (removed in the picture).

Last edited:

mercsl320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163s 98 to 2005
robbies transfer from note 2 2589.jpg

robbies transfer from note 2 2597.jpg

linkage was broken on mine and flaps were well worn so decided to remove them and plug holes with bolts that i tapped the threads for too and fiber washers and also lock tight.
didn't feel i needed to wire them.

i have connected the flap motor but mounted it nr bulk head far as harness could stretch.

feels much more responsive with out flaps

just on with doing the egr shunt for good measure.

forest309

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220
I have fault codes, shut off motor short to ground, egr short to ground and component r39/1 short to ground replaced manifold and motor and egr still same problem codes don't clear at all

OP
Alex Crow

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Replace the blown fuse!

OP
Alex Crow

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Any ideas what one it would be checked fuses fixed to the jump point there all ok

We do not know which model C220 you have, so please give more detail (like first 6x numbers of VIN - eg 203006) - then I can look up the fuse for you.

OP
Alex Crow

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry that would help,129919, 2.2 203 2004

Replace 15A fuse no.54 in fuse box next to brake servo.

No idea where you got 129919 from?

dieselsyndrome

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320CDI/08/OM642
I just wanted to verify that with the 08 ML320CDI W164 I can make this modification. The car has the dreaded Oil cooler leak and will be going in to get the seals replaced. At the same time I would like to remove the flaps and the bypass the shutoff motor due to the reported issues surrounding it. Unfortunately there is no warranty on the car anymore. I've been suspecting that something has been wrong for while, since I always have to top up 1-2 liters of oil between changes. But every time it has gone into the dealer they insisted that there were no issues and this was normal. Now of course that the car is out of warranty there is an issue.
Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that I can make this change as my mechanic said there might be an additional sensor on my model and that this cannot be bypassed, but he won't know until he tears it down.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom