GLC - bald front tyres after 11.5k miles

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
A couple of people have said put the back on the front etc. What's the reason for this?

On a car that has the same size tyre all round you should always have the tyres with the most tread on the rear, this is mainly to eliminate aquaplaning in wet conditions. All the main tyre companies recommend this and any good tyre fitter will do this automatically

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
Ok, that makes perfect sense.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The reason why you put new tyres on the back is for stability in wet weather.
Tyres with less tread are more inclined to lose grip in heavy rain and for most people it easier to control a vehicle with limited front grip than rear grip. You really don't want to hit the brakes and have the back end come round to overtake the front!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
No mention on makes of makes at all, with so many out there with many with some good advantage

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
No mention on makes of makes at all, with so many out there with many with some good advantage

Factory fitted are Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport RFT.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Factory fitted are Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport RFT.

What have you ordered, I would be tempted with Goodyears or Uniroyal RS3

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
Cancelled my previous order as they were non run flats. Might go with the same, but I'll have a look at your suggestions too. Thank you

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Cancelled my previous order as they were non run flats. Might go with the same, but I'll have a look at your suggestions too. Thank you

No joy with MB?
Just tell them you had the skipping/noise issue as reported by many owners and that now the tyres have worn the outside edge and you believe it to be related.

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
No joy with MB?
Just tell them you had the skipping/noise issue as reported by many owners and that now the tyres have worn the outside edge and you believe it to be related.

That's exactly what I said to them this morning. Waiting for a techie to call me back

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All or it all changes is hit one wheel, and they are all out,,,, no clue of the best choose made

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Same back and front. The 20's are 255/45/R20 101W.

Those are crazy tyre sizes based purely on fashion rather than any requirements for grip due to power output. Wheel and tyre sizes these days are the same as the old "L", "GL", "GLS" badge snobbery from the 80's and adding an "i" or "Turbo" badge just to show you're doing better than the poor sap in the base model. If you don't have at least 20" rims then you're obviously a failure...

One of the benefits I've noticed in the drive for lower emissions is that tyres s are returning to more realistic sizes because ridiculously wide tyres with almost no sidewall do nothing for fuel economy. They also do nothing for your spine and as you can only feel how bad they are when you're sitting in the car I don't see the point of them.

davidsw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XKR ,Jaguar S-Type, Porsche Boxster S
new tyres supposedly give better grip , better to under steer than over steer.
However some suggest not swapping front to back because of difference in wear patterns

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
F
Those are crazy tyre sizes based purely on fashion rather than any requirements for grip due to power output. Wheel and tyre sizes these days are the same as the old "L", "GL", "GLS" badge snobbery from the 80's and adding an "i" or "Turbo" badge just to show you're doing better than the poor sap in the base model. If you don't have at least 20" rims then you're obviously a failure...

One of the benefits I've noticed in the drive for lower emissions is that tyres s are returning to more realistic sizes because ridiculously wide tyres with almost no sidewall do nothing for fuel economy. They also do nothing for your spine and as you can only feel how bad they are when you're sitting in the car I don't see the point of them.
Funnily enough the whole big wheel small sidewall thing is a very UK fad, which is ironic given the poor state of our roads!

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d

Maybe. I'm no pro driver that much is true. But I actually just like the look of the 20" spoked wheels compared to the 19" version. If we're not allowed to make choices based on personal preference rather than economy or what someone else considers sensible, then the world would be a very boring place!

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
If you can "cure" the juddering by fitting more grippy tyres (as Mercedes recommend), you haven't cured it, just masked it. The tyres will continue to wear excessively (normally on the outside).

Stick to your guns and demand the "official cure", you're in good company... Why buy tyres yourself itr Mercedes can be guilted into buying them for you?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can see the issue on this video at the 1 minute mark:

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
You can see the issue on this video at the 1 minute mark:

My god! That's just what I need. See the way the tyre collapses right on the outside edge when it's at full lock! Those noises are more than familiar! Wonder if that's why the dealer still hasn't called me back.

Thanks LostKiwi!!

OP

3PTS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
If you can "cure" the juddering by fitting more grippy tyres (as Mercedes recommend), you haven't cured it, just masked it. The tyres will continue to wear excessively (normally on the outside).

Stick to your guns and demand the "official cure", you're in good company... Why buy tyres yourself itr Mercedes can be guilted into buying them for you?

Thanks Paul! Good points well made.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I suspect there is a 2 fold issue.
1. MBs operate a lot of camber change on lock. That true of all models.
2. The 4WD system looks to be overly sensitive to wheel speed differences so is kicking in when it not required. The sounds and appearance is EXACTLY like what used to happen if my old Defender was in diff lock and you tried to turn a sharp bend.

Given the 4WD is electronically controlled I'm a little surprised MB haven't updated software to fix it but then I guess its possible that even if it looks the same it may be a different cause.

No matter what get the free new tyres if you can. Complain vociferously about it.

Try doing a google search on GLC juddering. There is a LOT of info about it.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Maybe. I'm no pro driver that much is true. But I actually just like the look of the 20" spoked wheels compared to the 19" version. If we're not allowed to make choices based on personal preference rather than economy or what someone else considers sensible, then the world would be a very boring place!

You are free to "improve" or "ruin" your car as you see fit and I'd defend your right to do so. Your comment just reinforces that it's fashion based rather than engineering based. I very much like the look of a good alloy wheel, I also value my comfort and fuel economy as well and as I can't see the wheels whilst sitting in the drivers seat it's more about my comfort than looks to me. It also appears because of the fashion that the tyres are not lasting that long...

Top Bottom