Rainsport 3

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'd go elsewhere, I've never found any hoops at Camskill. They can't supply the 235 85 R16 All Terrain I require for my Landy, don't even have it as a size option... They couldn't get the correct N rated tyres for the 911 when I had it and they've never been competitive for any of my other cars. I use MyTyres or Oponeo or my local independent tyre dealer

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I'd go elsewhere, I've never found any hoops at Camskill. They can't supply the 235 85 R16 All Terrain I require for my Landy, don't even have it as a size option... They couldn't get the correct N rated tyres for the 911 when I had it and they've never been competitive for any of my other cars. I use MyTyres or Oponeo or my local independent tyre dealer
The chap rang me this morning, he couldn't wait. Apparently if you don't have the MO stamp you could be in trouble, who's going around stamping these tyres. I would say the majority BMW, AUDI and MB are not running round with OEM tyres. I asked, what happens when these cars are worth a lot less and the owner is after a bargain, and the response was "Once a car gets older the insurance assessors do not care" Surely none MO tyres either void the insurance or not?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The chap rang me this morning, he couldn't wait. Apparently if you don't have the MO stamp you could be in trouble, who's going around stamping these tyres. I would say the majority BMW, AUDI and MB are not running round with OEM tyres. I asked, what happens when these cars are worth a lot less and the owner is after a bargain, and the response was "Once a car gets older the insurance assessors do not care" Surely none MO tyres either void the insurance or not?
The person is talking sh1te...

Although I have MO spec tyres on mine as they were cheaper than non MO :p and that's the only reason

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The person is talking sh1te...

Although I have MO spec tyres on mine as they were cheaper than non MO :p and that's the only reason
I asked about the Bridgestone Potenza S001 and I was advised that these were not MO, went to the Bridgestone site, and guess what? They pop up as suitable for my car, good job as MB replaced these last year!!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I've been aware that some tyres have been designed for a particular make or even model of car, I seem to remember a tyre having a J against it intended to be fitted to Jaguars. Even when I was putting a pair of tyres on my car the other week, within the Michelin tyres, one one them had a M against and was apparently Mercedes specific .... the tyre place could see no other difference in that & the tyre next in the list. But I've never been told that insurance insist on these tyres.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've been aware that some tyres have been designed for a particular make or even model of car, I seem to remember a tyre having a J against it intended to be fitted to Jaguars. Even when I was putting a pair of tyres on my car the other week, within the Michelin tyres, one one them had a M against and was apparently Mercedes specific .... the tyre place could see no other difference in that & the tyre next in the list. But I've never been told that insurance insist on these tyres.
Could you imagine an insurance company not paying out because you didn't have the correct stamp? It would be interesting in a court of law.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Time to make a copper brand to heat up and stamp MO in my sidewalls ;)

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can I borrow it after you please? My insurance company didn't have a clue, they just kept repeating, "Any modifications to the car that are not originally supplied to the car need to be sent to use" God forbid anyone caught not using OEM MB parts!!!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It would be interesting to see any insurer fight the block exemption regulations....

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's raised lettering on mine so they'll notice the difference if it's recessed :D

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's raised lettering on mine so they'll notice the difference if it's recessed :D
Many years ago I had an assessor come out to look at my Mk2 Astra GTE, he spent all of 2 minutes looking at it. He missed an obvious engine mod. Couldn't wait to go. Maybe it's different now, but I am sure these people don't have the time to get up to speed with what tyres a car should be sat on!!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many years ago I had an assessor come out to look at my Mk2 Astra GTE, he spent all of 2 minutes looking at it. He missed an obvious engine mod. Couldn't wait to go. Maybe it's different now, but I am sure these people don't have the time to get up to speed with what tyres a car should be sat on!!
Round and black, round and black...:)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Camskill are talking rubbish , imagine if you are in rural Spain where there are very few Mercs , the only tyres around are ones that fit the wheel . None of my 16 tyres are MO (winters and summers)

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
The MO marking means they are manufacturer approved. It does not mean anything else which has met the British standards are not suitable. There are rare occurrences where a manufacturer does issue a statement stating the a certain tyre should not be fitted (MG did this for a particular version of a tyre) and this is somewhere that the insurer could refuse to pay out if tyres could be a contributing factor.

The other grey area could be if you fitted a tyre where there is an MO approved version and you fitted the no MO, but even then that would be an unlikely reason they could refuse.

Take aside insurance, as its a bit of a non issue really (non approved sizes as modifications is far more likely to get you in trouble), warranties and leases are ones that require checking out. Not sure how common these days, but did know someone who had it as a condition in their lease they always ran approved tyres if available (it came up as they noticed they weren't on returning it and they charged for them).

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

VERY few cars have tyres designed specifically for them. The Veyron is one. In general, the cars that do are built in the few hundreds or very low thousands per annum and cost more- a lot more- than the average house.

Where OEM branding is applied to tyres, what you're seeing is effectively labelling for a commercial agreement. Continental, for one profligate example, are perfectly willing to offer an automaker "their" tyres, which are just an existing tyre with some annotation added via a tooling insert during curing. The M for Michelin is a manifestation of that; MB made an agreement with Michelin for their P Zero Nero tyres to be applied to all AMG Line cars, for one example, marked as OEM factory fit. The "normal" P Zero Nero is identical in every other way.

grahamwoodward

Reaction score
Website
www.gwoodward.co.uk
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 (petrol) Avantgarde Saloon (2004); CL203 CLC180 Kompressor Sport (2008)
I don't know if it helps but on my W211 E-class (E320) I have Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres fitted that are rated at 95Y and your C Class, being a C350, must have a similar loading requirement. Does it tell you the loading on the inside of the fuel flap? Rainsports are awesome tyres. I'm on my third set. I tried Avons that have similar stats etc but they just can't cope with the power to the rear wheels. The Rainsports lasted 27,000 on the rear and 35,000 on the front and cost £90 each fitted from my local indie-dealer in Nottingham.

grahamwoodward

Reaction score
Website
www.gwoodward.co.uk
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 (petrol) Avantgarde Saloon (2004); CL203 CLC180 Kompressor Sport (2008)
Do you know that Uniroyal is part of Continental, if that makes you feel better quality wise.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you know that Uniroyal is part of Continental, if that makes you feel better quality wise.
I'm fine with using them, a few here have them fitted. Hoping that they will last longer then the 6k that the Bridgestone Potenza S001's did!!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs

Not 100% exact, In North America, Colombia and Peru, the Uniroyal brand has been owned by Michelin since 1990, and outside those regions, the Uniroyal brand has been owned by Continental AG since 1979 following their acquisition of Uniroyal Europe, formerly known as Englebert.
Very similiar to Dunlop, they ceased to excist many years ago & the rights to use the Dunlop name were bought by several companies to use in their own seperate regions.

Top Bottom