auto or manual

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
ive decided not to read this thread anymore. all the hurt it causes me because i cant get along with an auto box that doesnt do what i want it to, when i want it to, maybe even to the point of me parting company with a car that i otherwise like more than any ive ever had, is just too much to bear for me. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
its a manual for me in future. tried autos for 18 months so far, now i want to drive again.

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
S = Slope ( sometimes marked as '3' on some boxes ) is the next step down from D = Drive and allows automatic changing of gears up to 3rd ; next down is L = Low ( alternatively '2' ) which allows automatic changing up to 2nd , locking out higher gears ; on some , but not all , boxes you have a further position B = Bottom ( alternatively '1' ) which is manual selection of 1st gear only .

The dual mode switch S:E or S:W variously referred to as Standard:Economy or Summer:Winter does not 'lock out' any gears but does alter the change points and part throttle sensitivities at which changes take place . The car will normally start in 2nd regardless of whether S or E is selected but , in S 1st can be brought into play with a firm pressure on the accelerator ( does not need full throttle nor even kickdown ) whereas in E or W modes 1st is only available from standstill by using the kickdown switch to override . Once you are rolling upshifts come earlier in E or W modes than in S and , conversely , part throttle downshifts occur with less throttle in S than in Economy or Winter modes . I , personally , just leave mine in S all the time as I can drive gently enough to cope with winter conditions without special programmes to help me do it .

As a former Advanced Driving instructor of many years experience and energency response driver I would have to comment that an overtake which 'requires full throttle' should not really be undertaken on public roads as there is then nothing left in reserve for unexpected developments .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
S = Slope ( sometimes marked as '3' on some boxes ) is the next step down from D = Drive and allows automatic changing of gears up to 3rd ; next down is L = Low ( alternatively '2' ) which allows automatic changing up to 2nd , locking out higher gears ; on some , but not all , boxes you have a further position B = Bottom ( alternatively '1' ) which is manual selection of 1st gear only .

The dual mode switch S:E or S:W variously referred to as Standard:Economy or Summer:Winter does not 'lock out' any gears but does alter the change points and part throttle sensitivities at which changes take place . The car will normally start in 2nd regardless of whether S or E is selected but , in S 1st can be brought into play with a firm pressure on the accelerator ( does not need full throttle nor even kickdown ) whereas in E or W modes 1st is only available from standstill by using the kickdown switch to override . Once you are rolling upshifts come earlier in E or W modes than in S and , conversely , part throttle downshifts occur with less throttle in S than in Economy or Winter modes . I , personally , just leave mine in S all the time as I can drive gently enough to cope with winter conditions without special programmes to help me do it .

As a former Advanced Driving instructor of many years experience and energency response driver I would have to comment that an overtake which 'requires full throttle' should not really be undertaken on public roads as there is then nothing left in reserve for unexpected developments .

Correct for the cars pre 06-96 when the 722.6 came out. W on these boxes is a 2nd gear start and S a 1st gear start

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001

after reading these paragraphs,I will definately stick to manuals.easier to control .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
after reading these paragraphs,I will definately stick to manuals.easier to control .

Why anyone would want to push their left leg up and down many hundreds of times a day is beyond me

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
You are right and I am eating too much,,how are things with you :D

very well malcolm, not doing much nowadays, as I am still looking for a job, no one seems to want to employ anyone who is 60+, enjoying studying refrigeration at Eastleigh College at the moment, trying to diversify a little,
how are you keeping, what is the weather like down your way, god knows how you going to drive out of Bere Regis with all those hills and snow on the ground.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
very well malcolm, not doing much nowadays, as I am still looking for a job, no one seems to want to employ anyone who is 60+, enjoying studying refrigeration at Eastleigh College at the moment, trying to diversify a little,
how are you keeping, what is the weather like down your way, god knows how you going to drive out of Bere Regis with all those hills and snow on the ground.

That sounds like a good thing to take up with so many applications. No snow down here,,just cold

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
That sounds like a good thing to take up with so many applications. No snow down here,,just cold

same here malcolm,very cold, although we are expecting snow this weekend, we could do with a few raindeer to jolly things along, santa's definately coming

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
......we could do with a few raindeer to jolly things along, santa's definately coming

Sorry to burst your bubble giuseppe but Santa does not exist, you have to buy the presents yourself :confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry to burst your bubble giuseppe but Santa does not exist, you have to buy the presents yourself :confused:

I will not get a thing :(:(, but we used to get the reindeer running through our gardens in Sweden

AlisonH

Reaction score
Website
www.trpd.co.uk
Well, mine's a manual but, apparently, started off life as an auto. Somehow I can't imagine driving an automatic the places I do, and loaded up as mine often is, and along the tracks I often have to drive.

As for the foot operated parking brake combination with the manual, I love it, and find it easy enough to co-ordinate the pedals and hand release control without it rolling back. Get plenty of practice on our local hills.

Must admit that I have never driven an auto Merc, but have driven the odd automatic car over the years, and never really liked them. Perhaps I just like to feel in control? ;)

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
Well, mine's a manual but, apparently, started off life as an auto. Somehow I can't imagine driving an automatic the places I do, and loaded up as mine often is, and along the tracks I often have to drive.

As for the foot operated parking brake combination with the manual, I love it, and find it easy enough to co-ordinate the pedals and hand release control without it rolling back. Get plenty of practice on our local hills.

Must admit that I have never driven an auto Merc, but have driven the odd automatic car over the years, and never really liked them. Perhaps I just like to feel in control? ;)

could'nt agree with you more Alison,braking, parking and taking off is no problem at all,
and I like the control you get with a manual.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
"Horses for courses"

This argument will run for ever...

You either love 'em or hate 'em.......

Thincat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK320
As none other than LJK Setright once famously said ( with respect to the W113 230SL , comparing automatic with manual versions ) the fact that the automatic car had better acceleration figures was a case of ' some of the power all of the time being better than all of the power some of the time ' .

Automatic cars don't have better acceleration figures than manuals. They're slower. The reason why they can be quicker away from the lights is that any fool can floor the throttle in an auto and achieve the maximum acceleration possible fro that car. In a manual you need to have a bit of skill, but the manual will be faster.

However, I still reckon automatics are now the way to go - I just don't think that the Mercedes slush pump is the way to go. I'll go for a double clutch semi-auto on my next car. If electrics ever catch on then gearboxes will be a thing of the past anyway, but I suspect electrics are a dead end.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom