SL55 AMG (2003) Electronics

W1Z

Reaction score
I've posted about this elsewhere, but in case anyone finds this thread, I now know how the water gets into the passenger footwell and causes these problems (even when the drainpipe is clear):

The passenger side bonnet grill (UK car) has a water drainage system. Rain water that goes into the grill goes down a pipe, through a soft corrugated rubber nozzle, into a funnel that is moulded into the plastic wheel-ach liner. From there it goes out through the liner into the wheel arch.

The rubber nozzle is to slow the speed of the water so that it doesn’t splash over the edge of the funnel, if it does, the water runs down into the passenger foot-well, under the carpet.

The problem is that the system works ok with rain, even heavy rain, but it can’t cope with a car-wash or jet-wash and huge amounts of water ends up under the passenger carpet. Unfortunately, under the carpet are several electrical connector blocks for the cars systems ECU; things like warning lights, roof control etc. These end up under water and all hell breaks loose.

The solution is to remove the passenger seat, remove the trim and then lift the carpet. You then need to dry all the water out. Then unclip the top of the black electrical cable conduit and dry everything inside. Ideally, take the plugs out of the block connectors one at a time and blow them dry with an airline. Then put them back with a little electrical silicone grease which will protect the contacts and drive out any remaining damp.

Drying the underside of the carpet is a real pain in the ass because it has thick soundproofing foam on it which will be sodden. Leaving the seat out, the carpet held up on block with a heater in the car for a couple of days may be the only answer.

Once this is all done, you can put everything back and it’ll be fine. However, you’ll need to block off the vent in future when you wash the car – it’s a crap design I know, but there it is :mad:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Not well thought out is it,,a decent drain pipe would have stopped so much damage.

Thank you WIZ for the write up :D:D

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
Can anyone confirm if removing the corregated rubber drain solves the problem? Or does removing it enable water to splash up over the sides of the funnel and into the footwell?

Mine was backed up with a blockage and so have removed the rubber to free it. But am looking for a long term solution and don't want to leave the drain out if it's just going to make things worse...

Thanks, Dan

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can anyone confirm if removing the corregated rubber drain solves the problem? Or does removing it enable water to splash up over the sides of the funnel and into the footwell?

Mine was backed up with a blockage and so have removed the rubber to free it. But am looking for a long term solution and don't want to leave the drain out if it's just going to make things worse...

Thanks, Dan

Is this the one in the heater box

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
Yes, I removed the rear section of the front passenger wheel arch, found two drains, a triangular one which runs from the corner of the scuttle panel-this was clear. I found one further forward which was a round corregated rubber one, I poled it and water came out, about two pints I would guess, I then pulled the rubber part out and have it sitting in the house-since doing this the bottom of the heater box dosnt hold water...

Should I be putting the rubber part back? Leaving it out? Modifying it?

Many thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have a feeling that this is the heater box drain, without it the water will go straight into the car

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
Ok many thanks, I should get it put back then but it does appear that vauxhallmaniac in post number 8 removed it and threw it away (referred to as a mercedes technical mod lol)??

Thanks, Dan

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As long as there is a pipe from the heater box drain you should be OK

vauxhallmaniac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350/SLK320 Special Edt/SLK320 "Tinkerbelle Edition"
Hi Danny as long as it emptied the air intake of water its the right one! you can either refit it and keep cleaning it as leaf mulch/debris will block it up or leave it out..... mines been out for years its never had the problem again :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Danny as long as it emptied the air intake of water its the right one! you can either refit it and keep cleaning it as leaf mulch/debris will block it up or leave it out..... mines been out for years its never had the problem again :D

Thank you for coming back on this, my car was different :D:D

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
Ok thanks, on mine it was the "star" shaped corregated rubber that emptied the air box of water, the triangular one located further back towards the firewall was totally clear and seems to just drain the very corner of the scuttle panel.

As for gaining access to the connections prone to damage under the carpets can this only be done by removing the seat??

Thanks, Dan

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How was yours different Malcolm? Did yours still let water in?

Thanks

Mine was one of the first cars made, it had a straight pipe from the heater box, all so simple ;):D

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
Malcolm. Was the pipe in your heater box just a straight open ended affair?

It seems there are quite a few around, mine included, that have the closed star shaped "closed" end. Just wondering why MB would have changed the design?????

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm. Was the pipe in your heater box just a straight open ended affair?

It seems there are quite a few around, mine included, that have the closed star shaped "closed" end. Just wondering why MB would have changed the design?????

It had very small ears on it but open, many parts get changed in design, some for the best others for the worst.

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
Interesting Philedge, did you remove your drain? Have you had any problems since?

Thanks

Last edited:

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didn't remove the drain in its entirety but just cut the flaps off the inside of the end of the tube. The tube end then looked like a 4 pointed crown.

I've not had any problems but the tube doesn't fully protrude out of the body work into the wheel arch so I guess there is the possibility of water dripping onto the inside of the hole in the bodywork rather than into the "funnel" moulded into the wheel arch liner.

The original MB drain reached no further than the modded one so I guess that the tube stopping short isn't a problem?? When I next have the arch liner off I think I will extend the tube to fully clear the body to guarantee discharge into the arch liner.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I did not remove the star shaped drain tube on my 2004 SL55, there was no need to. I just cleaned it out. I thought if I removed it, water would drip somewhere it shouldn't.

I did not realise at the time the advice to remove the tube was based on an earlier design. I think probably the forum "how to" requires updating.

Last edited:

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think the advice for the "later" star shaped tube is to cut away the innards at the star shaped end so you end up with a tube with a 4 pointed crown on the end. That gives a clear flow out of the airbox and nothing to stop any grot from accumulating and blocking the drain.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What is absolutely crack pot is the drains on my CL in front of the screen, the taper getting narrower toward the bottom, it takes just 1 leaf and it blocks, and these drain under the car

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom