SL55 AMG (2003) Electronics

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Interestingly clearing water drains is now specifically mentioned in the service schedule of current models..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Interestingly clearing water drains is now specifically mentioned in the service schedule of current models..

Thats interesting Peter, my CL had the dealer service when I first bough it, my nearside drain was badly blocked, it took a lot of force to get a coat hanger wire through to clear it, just a straight pipe.

bikes & cars

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk350 with AMG sports pack & SL350 with ABC
If you've had water in the air box just check the passenger carpets aren't wet underneath. If they are wet clearing the airbox drain is the least of your worries- see Malcolms pictures for interior strip down to dry carpets!!!

I used a dehumidify to dry my SL out, I ran the power cable out of the window, just left the window open enough for the cable then taped up the gap in the window to make the car as air tight as possible. Left it running for 24 hours dried my SL out a treat & much easier that stripping the carpets etc

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
If i go onto mercedes website and book a service online, it lists everything included and the clearing of drains is standard procedure on both services a & b for my 2003..

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I think you'll be fine IF the drain is kept clear but if your car is parked up anywhere near trees then you'd have to remember to check the drain every few months.

Forgetting to clear the drain can cause so many problems that its probably a good idea to pre-empt any blockage and cut the ends off when you get chance.

The car is garaged, and only comes out when the sun is shining. Hopefully a nasty leaf will never come near it.

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
Don't be lulled into a false sense of security by keeping it away from leaves!

What about dead insects? Bits of rust blowing off the rear arches when you're reversing? Battery and PCB detritus from the alarm siren being sucked back up the drain? Bits of OEM sealant blowing off the C pillars when reversing. Streams of water from leaking headlight washers sweeping the bird s**t off the bonnet straight into the airbox.

Never a dull moment with a 230 SL!!!!

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Don't forget the dandruff from passing seagulls :)

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
What about, wrapping the top heater box grill with the mrs's tights? ...

Last edited:

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
Lol!! Not the whole car you clown just the grill that clips on the top of the heater box lol..

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
Unless the bonnet grill would allow for this? I can't remember without having another look

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
Right, I have removed that side kick plate and peeled as much carpet as I can and it's wet. I have had it peeled back heaters on full and continually squeezing and mopping for the past two hours. It is now a hell of a lot better, the carpets behind the seat is damp but not water logged as it was up front.

What is the carpet like directly under the seat? Is this also lined with that spongy insulation that holds water so well?

I have left all my carpets peeled this evening and am bringing home a dehumidifier tomorrow and hopefully this will give me the best possible chance without having to get the seats taken out.

Btw where is the electrical junction box located exactly?

Thanks

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if you look down in the front where you have the carpet up you will see a black plastic trunk lid, all of the wake up and CAN B connectors are in this box, it goes up to the rear where the rear CAN connectors are in the box behind the drivers seat, the down to the front in the off side trunk where the CAN wires go to the 16 pin OBD port and to the instrument cluster.

There is only the one connector in the seat, to lift the carpet on the drivers side you have to remove the throttle pedal (one screw)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm, did you find the drivers side footwell was also wet on yours?

I never ever had a problem with water in my car, the reason why I had to take all of the seats out was because there was a wiring fault from new, and the car would not go to sleep. very few have had a wet drivers side, but there have been a couple, how wet I do not know.

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
Many thanks to everyone on this post I appreciate all your help, without It I feel my fault would get a lot worse (and expensive) ( it still may but at least I have the best possible chance at helping to fix the problem before it's too late)

Dan

lovemerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 GLE AMG Sport. Previously - SL500 R230 2003 & S430L W220 1999.
There are 5 bolts holding in each set and the multi plug connector.

Yes do not turn on once the seats are disconnected. if you are going to do it then I will give you more details,,,

You can lift the passenger side font carpet in the corner by removing the 1 screw hold the side kick panel and sliding the cover off, by just lifting that corner for a time and placing a block under the carpet will allow it to dry out much quicker

Hi Malcolm,
When you have a mo', could you let me know anything further regarding disconnecting & reconnecting pipes and plugs as you mention further details here please?

I'm going to remove the seat as the foam is totally sodden and not only do I get all the crazy messages on the dash as mentioned, my consumer was nearly flat today after only 28hrs of being not used...

Drying out the wires and connectors seems to have rectified the exactly the same issues for Wiz & Vauxhaul Simon :D

Thanks.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To remove either seat, first bring the back forward so that the backrest is not upright, adjust the seat as far forward as possible and press the catch to release the two plastic covers over the seat rails. remove the 2 x 10mm bolts on the inside and 1 on the outside runner. slide the seat right back and remove the front rail covers, then the 1 bolt each side.

The seat is now loose so tip the whole thing backwards and slide the electrical plug lock along to release it. prise out any vacuum connector with a small open ended spanner or hold the fitting on the seat and pull it out by hand.

Place a thick blanket over the sills and lift the seat out, they are very heavy, I could just do it 3 years ago.

On the drivers side take out the 1 recessed bolt holding the throttle pedal and lift it out, with the side panel off the carpet can be lifted back, the bonnet release handle just slides off.

You can then take the tops off the trunking to see if water has got in, if it has I will tell you what to do :D:D

lovemerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 GLE AMG Sport. Previously - SL500 R230 2003 & S430L W220 1999.
Very helpful as always Malcolm.

I am aiming for a weekend job unless I can start earlier so will get back when my car looks like the inside yours you posted earlier.

Cheers,
Mark.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom