1992 300 SL, R129. Problem with the right side power window. Is the PW connected to the wiper/combi/N10 relay in any way?

MrShades

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1992 Mercedes 300 SL, R129 - Mercedes SL, R230 - Corvette StingRay Sport Coupe
First i will need to say that i was going to check the wiper/combi/N10 relay (part number A 129 820 1026) on my 1992 300 SL and when i took off the connector off of the relay all of the wires came loose on the 21 pin connector (See the picture attached below) I frepaired this for about a month ago. I am saying this just in case the power window problem can have anything to do with the fact that i put all of the wires (18 wires on my car) back on in the 21 pin connector.
Pic 1. The loose wires seen from the left side of the car.JPG

I found out where each wire is supposed to sit on the 21 pin connector here on this forum in a thread posted by davidsl500 where he wrirtes where everyone of the 21 wires is placed :):) So a big thanks to davidsl500 for the post :):)

But now i have another problem and that is the right hand side power window. The left hand side power window is working fine

I have checked the fuses in the boot/trunk and nothing wrong with the fuses

The reason i ask if the any here knows if the power windows is connected in any way to the wiper/combi/N10 relay is because the power window problems started about 3 weeks after i had fixed the wires back on to the connector for the relay.
I have to add that i looked at a wiring diagram for the power windows and to me it looks like there is no connection between the power windos and the wiper/combi/N10 relay

I checked absolute everyting after i had sorted out the wires and put the relay back on and everything was working fine.

So i thought that it might be that the window mechanism that had come loose inside the door so late last evening i took the inner door panel off but nothing was broken .
So i turned on the ignition and tried the right hand side power window and it worked perfect.

Since this was late last evening and it started to get dark outside i decided to put the door panel back on today so i left the window 70 percent closed.

The last thing i did last evening was to charge the battery so i did take off the negative battery cable and since the battery was being charged overnight.

So today i put the door panel back on and when i was connecting the negative battery cable to the battery the right side power window went into fully open position as soon as the negative battery cable touched the negative pole on the battery.

How can this happen when nobody i pressing the open/close window switch?

Another thing is that when i put the ignition on position i can hear some clicking sound coming from the right side door and that without me pushing the switch for the power window.

Any here on the forum have any idea what may cause this?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Faulty switch, water damage / corrosion

OP
MrShades

MrShades

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for a quick reply Blobcat :):)

I will take the connector off of the open close switch for the right side power window and try the switch for the left side power window (if it fit) to check if the switch is the problem.
When you say water damage to you mean inside the door on the motor for the right hand side power window?

When i took off the right side door panel some water ran down the door so i might have to take off the door panel, speakers to access the window motor to check the connectors.
Is there any other electric component for the power window inside the door?

I also found a diagram that shows 2 relays. 1 relay for each of the power windows. The relais are called S21/9 and S21/8.
The wires coming from the relays say open for 1 wire and close for wire 2.
Can it be water leak where these 2 relays are placed on the car?

I am pretty sure that there is no water leak to/in the switch on the center console

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks for a quick reply Blobcat :):)
I will take theconnector off of theswitch for the right side power window and try the switch for the left side power window (if it fit) to check if the switch is the problem.
When you say water damage to you mean inside the door on the motor for the right hand side power window?

Asking since i know there is no water in the switch on the center console
It's not unknown for drinks and fluids to be spilled on the center console :(
You could just disconnect the switch initially and see if that stops the noise

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The noise will be the motor running and trying to open the window. In the bottom of the door there is a limit switch. This should trip and stop the window.
If it's not doing so the switch, wiring or control unit is bad.

OP
MrShades

MrShades

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I just came back after checking the switch for the right side power window and the switch seems to be okay since every time i press the switch to close the window i can hear a "clicking" every time i press the switch.
So as long as you can hear the click in the window motor every time you press to close the window the switch there should be nothing wrong with the switch
I have owned this car for so many years and i know that i have never spilled anything on the center console.
P spilled a coke bottle once but all of that came in my lap and the drivers seat :):)

But as long as the battery is connected and the key in the igniton i still hear that other clicking sound all the time

Last edited:
OP
MrShades

MrShades

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LostKiwi when you say control unit i really hope you do not mean the control unit that also managed open close the roof and windows?

When you say limit switch in the bottom of the door that stops the window is the functionof the switch only to stop the window? I do not have the opti that the windows goes down a bit when you close the door and then back up again.

But when you say the limit switch is there to stop the window i have to say that the reason i thought the window mechansim had broken is because if you compare the lleft side and right side window in fully open position the right side window is further down inside the door so that was the main reaon that i thought the mechanism was broken and took off the door panel

The windows mechanism on the left side was broken and the problem was just a aluminum rivet that holds the window mechansim was broken so thought it might be the same problem on the right side window and that was the reson i could not close the window using the switch

So do you think the limit switch is gone "bad" since the tight side window do go further down inside the door compared to the left side?

On the left side the top of the window glas is a few millimetetrs above the inner top rubber on the door panel but on the right side window it sticks much further down so the top of the window can not be touched using your fingers

Now after the right side window worked for a little time it does not sit so far down inside the door as it did 2 days ago when i took off the dorr panel.

The windows are pretty even now which they was not 2 days ago..
You can see the right side window to the left and the left side window to the right on the pictures below.

Attachments

• Right side window from the inside. Pic 1.JPG
    Right side window from the inside. Pic 1.JPG
    472.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Left side window from the inside.JPG
    Left side window from the inside.JPG
    473.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
MrShades

MrShades

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One important thing i forgot to mention about the 1992 SL, R129 that have the problem with the right side power window is that the car have been standing outside and not been used since April.
So the car have seen a lot of rain..

I think it is worth worth mentioning this which i should have written in my first posting about the power window..
To have a car standing unused is not good for the car..

Any here knows where S21//2 and S21/1 shown on the wiring diagram for the power windows are located?

Both S21/2 and S21/1 (marked with red arrows) have up - down on them so there must be one for each window

S21-1 and S21-2 marked with red arrows shown on this wiring diagram for the power windows (199...jpg

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One important thing i forgot to mention about the 1992 SL, R129 that have the problem with the right side power window is that the car have been standing outside and not been used since April.
So the car have seen a lot of rain..

I think it is worth worth mentioning this which i should have written in my first posting about the power window..
To have a car standing unused is not good for the car..
Take the door card off and see what (if any) water damage there is - window motor might be corroded

OP
MrShades

MrShades

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Blobcat i will do it tomorrow since it looks like it is about to start to rain outside

I will have to take off the speaker assembly as well to get access to the window motor if i remember correct.

But as you said about water leak. When i took off the door panel/door card yesterday there was some water coming out

OP
MrShades

MrShades

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is no water damage in the right hand side door.

I checked the limit switch in the bottom on the door and i took off the window motor so it was hanging loose on the door.

It then put the negative battry cable back on the battery and as soon as battery cable touched the battery pole the window motor started to run trying to open the window.

The motor is running/working, trying to open the window as long as the battery is connected.
The window motor is running/working constant trying to open the widow that is already open.

When i press the "close" window switch the window motor stops running but as soon i take my finger off of the window switch the window motor starts running/working, constant trying to open the window.

Note that this is a LHD car so the passenger side door and window have not been used much compared to the left side window/door which is the drivers side here in my country. Also this car is a 1992 model so this SL does not have the "bad/poor" insulation on the wires that first started with the 1993 model year.

I also took off the wiper, combination, N10/2 relay again to check if that could be connected to the windows in any way but it does not look like that have anything to do with the power window motors.
The left window/motor works as it is supposed to and the right window motor is running/working constant all the time with the wiper, combination, N10/2 relay off.
I thought i should menation this since i had all of the wires in the 21 pin connector loose but that is repaired and is working as it is supposed to.

I have taken out the radio, heater panel, the screws so the center console is loose so i can check the window switch tomorrow. I did not check it now since it was getting dark outside.

Any have any idea on what may cause the window motor to run all the time?

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Bad roof control module.

You could try disconnecting the switch and trying it. If it still operates the window it's almost certainly roof module.

OP
MrShades

MrShades

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I said that i think there is nothing wrong with the window limit switch limit but the limiy switch does not srop the window motor when i press it.

But i think the window limit switch is mostly used when you open/close the roof on the car.
I can not see how the limit switch if it was broken can make the window motor run all the time as long as the battery is connected.

The only thing i bothered to do today was to take off the center console and put the left side wiindow connector on the right side window up/down switch and just as i thought the switch worked a it is supposed to..
Here you can see the limit switch and the micro switch clipped on it.. I was afraid the hold plastic fasteners would break when trying to remove it but i was no problem taking the switch off the door or putting it back on the door.
Window limit switch with the micro switch clipped on.jpg

LostKiwi. Yep, the roof controller (N52) is the next thing on the list..

The car have always stand parked so the left side of the car have been standing higher than the right side bu this summer it is the right hand side that have been standing highest.
Just thinking of things i have done different this summer when it comes to the old SL, R129.

I have had a feeling that it is the "close window" relay in the vario roof controller (N52) that is the problem and that since before i took off the door card the first time.. I really hope that i am wrong about the vario roof controller.

Strange that the window motor gets power so it spins the way it does when closing the window..

The vario roof controller (N52) is under the back seat on the right hand side side on my SL. R129 or am i wrong?

Last edited:
OP
MrShades

MrShades

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I found this troubleshooting about if the power widows do not open

How do you "normalize" the power window motors?
The right side power window does not open pressig the switch(Copy).jpg

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How do you "normalize" the power window motors?
You don't.
Normalising is only for Windows that have a one touch up and down. Yours had a one touch down only.

I'm pretty sure the roof controller is under the rear seats.

Some people have had some success repairing the roof controller. If you're electronically competent it might be worth a look inside.

OP
MrShades

MrShades

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have checked almost evertything and i have phoned Mercedes several times but no help from them.
So i phoned a company called "The R129 Co" in the UK and they would have a technician call me later the same day which he did :)
Note that i do not live in the UK so i think this was really great service :)

I spoke to him for over 30 minutes and told him about the problem and he told me that the problem is in the roof controller as i was afraid of..

I did try out something and the people at "The R129 Co" called me back again :)
I must say that the people at "The R129 Co" are really great and incredible service minded :) They are really nice people :)
They also have all the parts that i need..
I any have any problems with their roof or windows i highly recomend giving The R129 Co a call...

i should have told you that i have not had the roof up or down in almost 10 years so before i take out the roof controller to check if i can find any relays that might need cleaning or bad solderings that need to be re soldered i will take off the hard top and open and close the soft top a few times..

To take off the hard top and open and close the soft top a few times is one of the first thing i should have tried out and written in my first post here oon the forum.

Last edited:

roblloyd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 500SL
I have checked almost evertything and i have phoned Mercedes several times but no help from them.
So i phoned a company called "The R129 Co" in the UK and they would have a technician call me later the same day which he did :)
Note that i do not live in the UK so i think this was really great service :)

I spoke to him for over 30 minutes and told him about the problem and he told me that the problem is in the roof controller as i was afraid of..

I did try out something and the people at "The R129 Co" called me back again :)
I must say that the people at "The R129 Co" are really great and incredible service minded :) They are really nice people :)
They also have all the parts that i need..
I any have any problems with their roof or windows i highly recomend giving The R129 Co a call...

i should have told you that i have not had the roof up or down in almost 10 years so before i take out the roof controller to check if i can find any relays that might need cleaning or bad solderings that need to be re soldered i will take off the hard top and open and close the soft top a few times..

To take off the hard top and open and close the soft top a few times is one of the first thing i should have tried out and written in my first post here oon the forum.
How did you solve the problem?
Rob

OP
MrShades

MrShades

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
rollboyd.
I have not bothered to check it yet. I just pushed the window shut after taking out the window motor and put the window motor back in and removed the fuse for the window in the trunk.
Before i take out the roof controller i am going to check 1 thing first since i have not had the hard top off the car the last 7 years ore more :rolleyes:
I should have told you that in my first post here when i first noticed the window was standing in the open position.
But then i was not aware that power windows was controlled by the roof controller.

I will take off the hard top and try to open, close the roof a few times just to see if that helps thinking of the fact that the the only components that have been used in the roof controller is the window up and the window down relays for the power windows.

If the roof controller works now after the window problem that is, but i am pretty sure it will since the problem with thee window is that it is stuck open.

If there is a problem inside the roof controller like a stuck relay, bad soldering or something easy like that i have no problem fixing that myself..
I have re soldered quite a few bad solders on circuit boards and things like this before so i hope i am able to repair it myslelf..

But if it is more complicated i probably will need to have somebody to check it for me..

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
On a side note. They are a good lot at r129 Co. Just round the corner from us, we use them a lot for parts.

Comand Online Ltd is a specialist supplier of Mercedes Navigation Disks, Phone & Bluetooth, iPod, DAB, CD and other COMAND retrofit parts to enhance your vehicle.www.comandonline.co.uk
Top Bottom