1996 c280 sport with high tickover

rob the painter

Reaction score
Greetings all. I was just wondering if anyone can help me.

My c280 straight six ticks over at around 1500- 1800 rpm when the engine is warm. First thing in the morning when cold, the tickover is under 1000 rpm as it should be under normal conditions.

I removed the throttle body, cleaned it with carb cleaner, inspected it (I noticed an adjustable 'stop' inside the mechanism so maybe it can be re- caliburated?) and built it back up using grease on the original gasket as it looked serviceable. I also replaced the MAF meter.

After doing this the car went into limp home mode. I took it to the garage for a scan but it seemed to cure itself. It was MOT'd, passed, but played up again reversing off the ramp. The mechanic ran a fault code read but it gave confusing readings. He also said there was low voltage at the ECU. It now drives fine as you would expect, save the high tickover.

I have a feeling it may be the coolant temperature sensor, as there is a smell of fuel, suggesting it may be running rich. Sadly I can't seem to find it. I can only see the coolant sensor (4 pin plug) which, when removed with the engine running, only disconnects the guage (so I assume thats not the ecu sensor).

I would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice. It would be a pleasure to drive if it would run right.

Kind regards, Rob.

OP
R

rob the painter

Reaction score
Touch wood,I think she's cured. There is a relay near the ecu that had a loose coil which was arcing out on the relay body. One careful blob of solder later and she ticks over like it should.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom