2010 E350 VIOLENT SHAKE WHEN TURNING IGNITION OFF

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
Hi again guys,
So I have had this issue coming and going for the last couple months but it has now happened more regularly.

So issues are a violent shake and sort of hissing noise (kind of like a very loud vacuum Hoover being turned off) when turning the engine off but doesn't happen every time.

Other issue wether related or not is high idle which starts at 600rpm then as soon as I start driving it jumps to around 800rpm and more recently doesn't want to return back to normal idling again

Any help will be appreciated guys

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
RE - idle speed.

My CLS did the same and i think it may be battery / charging related.

When starting from really cold mine took a good few miles to return to 600 rpm , the more things i had switched on in the car the longer it took to return to 600 rpm. If i switched everything electrical off then it returned to the normal idle speed straight away hence my battery / charging theory, ie - the car was idling higher until it deemed the battery was up to a certain level of charge.

A new battery last year reduced the higher idle time dramatically.

Kenny

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Diesel shake often is fly wheel related but that’s usually big truck engines, etc, although I had it in a Peugeot once which was hideous (as was the car!)....hissing though may be induction related as mentioned above. Diesel experts will be in soon I’m sure with better explanations !

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
There are a maze of breather pipes and a split (even small) could well affect the idle and running generally - it’s likely your mpg will be down also, the engine management system will try to compensate and generate fault codes.
Favourite spot would be past the MAF top rear, but it would be a guess! The hiss you describe is, if you can pinpoint it, the likely source.
We are talking about renewing hoses only (if I’m correct!), so parts costs will not be too excessive, though access to some can be tricky.
Hope this helps and hope I’m correct!

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
I will have a look around tomorrow during the day to see if I can find anything obvious.

Will keep u updated

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
I could see any signs but I might not be looking in the right place...
Anyone know where these pipes are located?
If I get some carberrrtor cleaner and spray on pipes whilst engine is on will I be able to hear the idle change?

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
Am I right in thinking that if I follow the pipes connected to my air filters then I will find the culprit or are these connected elsewhere?

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Am I right in thinking that if I follow the pipes connected to my air filters then I will find the culprit or are these connected elsewhere?
Yes, start there an all those branching off. The hissing noise you described before should be (assuming you can pinpoint it) the culprit you are looking for.

OP
Quaver

Quaver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350 2010
I will remove the air filter when I'm next free and have a better look around.
Would spraying carberettor cleaner on the pipes actually help or not worth doing?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
You don’t need to remove the air filter. It’s at the front of the engine what the intercooler pipe clips into.

Why do you want to spray carb cleaner around the engine? That’s volitile stuff and will melt anything rubber. Don’t do that.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom