2017 General Election duplicate voting.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Voting should be fully traceable. One has a polling card, one is on the electoral roll in a given district; one's voting slip is numbered and that number is recorded against one's name. Cross referencing those records against the NI numbers recorded should bring out any double counts...

...to mean anything).

But how traceable? One thing that has always worried me is the level to which the vote is truly secret. As Craig highlighted, when I check in to vote at the polling station, they write my electoral number on the back of my voting paper. The papers are supposed to be sealed and end up in a warehouse at Hayes, Middlesex where they are supposedly held for "a year and a day" so that alleged/possible fraud could be investigated:

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-1051,00.html
So who has access to the voting papers after the election? The article above confirms that anyone having access to those documents can speedily trace the name and address of every voter for such candidates if they wish. So if an "evil dictator" took power, his/her new "Stazi" could presumably (maybe under cover of a claimed and much publicised fraud check the papers) and in doing so trace the voting sheet back to each individual voter. They might need some computer power to do it but given that our current PM had no problem shoveling out a £1Bn "bung" I don't think that would be too big a problem and those who voted against the dictator now in power might expect a visit from some rather nasty people.

- I think that's probably more worrying than an alleged and unspecified number of duplicate votes.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
A dictator coming into power is far, far less a possibility given our constitution, governmental format and division of legislative/ executive powers and Head of Government/ Head of State than voting fraud due to second address registration of students, in my considered opinion...

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Look at the US where Trump is trying (but nicely failing) to get all states to release their voter registrations and leanings.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You beat me to it, Ciaran... I was going to "trump" Craig!

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
To make this whole duplicate issue even worse is that Corbyn and Labour won most of the student votes because they pledged in their manifesto to wipe out student debts, now Corbyn and Raynor are saying they have no plans to wipe out student debt and it was never meant to be a promise to students. Labour have also admitted that at the time of making the pledge they had no idea how much it would cost, believed to be £100 billion now.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
To make this whole duplicate issue even worse is that Corbyn and Labour won most of the student votes because they pledged in their manifesto to wipe out student debts, now Corbyn and Raynor are saying they have no plans to wipe out student debt and it was never meant to be a promise to students. Labour have also admitted that at the time of making the pledge they had no idea how much it would cost, believed to be £100 billion now.

Only double the Defence budget then. A mere bagatelle.

Hitler once said that if one told a big enough lie, everyone would believe you. What he failed to understand was once the lie was exposed, you would never be believed again...

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
And these people think they can run a country, god help us!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Oh now that is a real shock!!!!!!

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230
But but their manifesto was fully costed. How can this be?

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230
Because they haven't got a f****ng clue what they are doing
Ah yes, now I remember. Sorry with all the celebrations and gloating about labour "winning" the election I had forgotten about this.
Good of them to keep reminding us though.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Hitler once said that if one told a big enough lie, everyone would believe you. What he failed to understand was once the lie was exposed, you would never be believed again...

Come on Craig - you're always telling me that every politician lies. And the biggest liar lives at 10 Downing Street (for the good of the country of course...).;)

Last edited:

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't know which is true - the man himself or the media... Corbyn responded to a question from Andrew Marr about an interview he gave to music paper NME before the general election, in which he had said he was "looking at ways to reduce the debt" burden.
- But all I read was claims that Labour would write it all off.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And that report says "one of his shadow ministers" not Corbyn himself and then quotes from Hussain and Hodgson.
- He's either been misrepresented or very clever ?

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
I think he thought he was being clever but has been found out.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class

The Tories are still living by that mantra today and getting away with it, because they like Hitler, are fully aware that few people ever check to see if it is fact or fiction. Cameron was the embodiment of this throughout his tenure as PM.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I just wonder who might be the editor of the London Evening Standard, and if they would give a fair representation of What Jeremy Corbyn actually said, reading that it would seem someone else said it.. But who really cares about the finer detail as long as the Headlines tells the wrong story. Did you read the story Coxy.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom